• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil cylinder walls before installing heads?

Max lobato

Local time
8:28 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Watched a video of a guy building an engine and he wiped some oil on the piston walls during his build. I am putting my heads on my la 318 today on a build i started 10 years ago. Would it be a good idea to lube the cylinder walls before installing my heads?
Thanks in advance

Sure, any oil that was put on 10 years ago has probably drained off.

Absolutely. The oil film protects the rings and skirts.

Better below the piston but anyplace is good. Don’t put too much on either. More is not better above the piston.

is the oil pan on or off?

is it on an engine stand or in the vehicle?

Last edited:
Hi everyone
Watched a video of a guy building an engine and he wiped some oil on the piston walls during his build. I am putting my heads on my la 318 today on a build i started 10 years ago. Would it be a good idea to lube the cylinder walls before installing my heads?
Thanks in advance
If it’s been 10 years, I’d recommend pulling it all apart, cleaning it all and starting over.

Better below the piston but anyplace is good. Don’t put too much on either. More is not better above the piston.

is the oil pan on or off?

is it on an engine stand or in the vehicle?
The pan is on. And the motor is out I had to remove the heads to have some work done on them and they have been off for about a year. I blew out the pistons and lightly coated the walls. Just torqued the heads back on today.

Pics

20200610_182745.jpg 20200610_182750.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back