• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Dipstick ID

MoparGuy68

Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Anyone recognize my oil dipstick? It was in my 383 Magnum. It looks like a factory made dipstick, but not like a 1971 factory 383 / 440 Magnum dipstick from my online research. It has the following writing engraved on it: "ADD 1QT OPERATING RANGE CAP 4 QTS USE SF ENGINE OIL 25516569 W".

My dipstick tube, which I accidentally cracked open, looks like the tubes Year One and Classic Industries carry for 1971 Big Block Mopar 383/440. The base of my stick's handle is designed to fit over the tube. My tube is too large in diameter for the handle base to fit over, so the stick could not fully seat on the tube. I believe the factory handle base for my year engine was designed to fit inside the tube.

Are the Year One and Classic Industries dipstick/tube sets the exact same parts (do they get them from the same source)? These tubes are just press fit into the hole in the block, no O-ring seal inside the hole?

IMG_1531.jpg IMG_1533.jpg IMG_1535.jpg IMG_1538.jpg IMG_1539.jpg IMG_1540.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1543.jpg IMG_1546.jpg IMG_1481.jpg

That tight fit is real tight and with engine in car good luck. The way I did a couple was reduce diameter for a slip fit and just silicone it in. The bolt on the exhaust will hold it in. I tried an open wrench and a box wrench on the tube but it still cracked the tube.

You cracked it trying to pound it into the hole? Or turn it into the hole with a wrench?

I cracked the tube removing the power steering gearbox from the car, while the tube was still inserted in the engine. The gearbox pulled the exhaust header downward putting enough pressure on the dipstick tube to crack it open. This stick and tube from my engine, that I posted above in the photos, were not meant to go together and were mismatched. I've ordered a stock replacement stick and tube set from Classic Industries. Their website said the set I ordered has been discontinued, and once their stock is sold out they won't be getting anymore. Maybe discontinued because you have to remove the engine from the car to install them. I don't remember this many problems with parts 20 or 30 years ago.. All this "technology" and they can't produce parts that fit as well as they did 50 years ago.

I guess since no one knows what my dipstick came out of, it might be from the Ball Stud Hemi factory protoype engine. A one of one dipstick! And I found it in my 383.

I did a 440 36 years ago and had trouble with the tube back then. Maybe freezing it and then try to install, but I found safest way was as I said above, grind tube and silicon it in.

I'm encountering this right now with my 383. I bought a tube from Mega Parts (nice guys) but the damn thing is too tight! Even after I used WD40 and 100 grit this does not want to go in. I miked the tube and compared to an original. Yep, the new one is .020 wider - that's AFTER I took off some material.
I can turn to my wire wheel or keep sanding, but I worry that this cheap chinese "steel" will get too thin. UGH!

I'm encountering this right now with my 383. I bought a tube from Mega Parts (nice guys) but the damn thing is too tight! Even after I used WD40 and 100 grit this does not want to go in. I miked the tube and compared to an original. Yep, the new one is .020 wider - that's AFTER I took off some material.
I can turn to my wire wheel or keep sanding, but I worry that this cheap chinese "steel" will get too thin. UGH!

Keep at it. I had to do the same sanding ****. My tube and stick came from Classic Industries. I spent ALL afternoon this past Saturday sanding on that thing with 3M Emery Cloth. Saying many, many colorful words, out loud, about lousy Chinese Covid machining tolerances while sanding.. This really annoyed and irritated me big time! My goal was to reduce the diameter just enough so I could pound the tube into the hole and still have it be a "force fit", without breaking the tube in the process. I actually succeeded in my goal! But it was painful.. My fingers were sore afterwards too.

I didn't use any oil at all. But I did a final sanding with fine grain Emery cloth and then polished the end of the tube after that.

IMG_1807.jpg IMG_1808.jpg IMG_1810.jpg IMG_1812.jpg

MoparGuy68 - I was reading your response and laughing. Were you watching me last night? VERY similar scene! I got mine in, but it was a pain in the nuts.

Auto Transport Service
Back