• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Leak 318

Could this hose be my oil leak? Seems to be spraying out of there or very close to

View attachment 447958
Well, that's one of your heater hoses. If the source of your oil leak is in that area I'd look close at the intake manifold gaskets for a leak, also the top of the front cover gasket. And for that matter the intake manifold bolt nearest to the that hose. Some people don't use sealer on those bolts.
It shouldn't be too hard to pin down the source.

Last edited:
Here's the pics of where the spray pattern is. I'm going to do the intake gaskets next. Anything else up there that would be a problem?

IMG_0163.JPG IMG_0164.JPG

HOLLEY.jpg
Sonny would just like to trow in his 2cents,,, this is why you see all the aftermarket valve covers out there, these stock covers leak like a son of a bidddddtch!...I am recycling & straightening all the time!
just say'in.....BTW I have the 4 "hole" covers on my 413
IMG_0426[1].JPG

Here's the pics of where the spray pattern is. I'm going to do the intake gaskets next. Anything else up there that would be a problem?

View attachment 481971 View attachment 482034
Are you positive it's engine oil that you're seeing? Could it be coolant, or refrigerant from your A/C compressor? You use the term "spray". I've not had engine oil spray out of an engine. I've had it seep, ooze, run, drip, etc. but not spray (except from a damaged oil pressure guage line.

Yeah it's oil for sure. After a couple drives it pools on the intake. That's why I can't figure this out. It only does it during high rpms and I can't get it to do it in the garage no matter how much I Rev it. You can see it on my passenger valve cover in the front, air cleaner, and rear driver spark plug wires.

Gorilla glue to the rescue! Same thing happened to Stella, same carb, same engine, same nipple! Cut it out of the hose, get a NEW hose, glue the nipple back on, get down the road

JB Weld makes a 2 part epoxy specifically for plastics. Might hold longer.

Had a '72 Dodge pickup, 360cu that would blow oil out the dipstick tube if I ran it hard. You may have the same thing going on. If ran hard enough, it would actually push the dipstick up out of the tube a bit. I eventually sold it. I assumed blow by of a piston was causing it.

Yes. It was the problem that Dako described. Coming out the dipstick hole. Ended up putting a 340 in it.

If the inside of the air cleaner housing is dry, blowby isn't your problem. If it's leaking up around the front of the intake, the gasket between the front of the block and the intake is most likely your issue. Plug the dipstick tube and breather on the valve cover. Get the $6 dollar regulator at Harbor freight. Set it to 5 psi and air up the crank case from the PCV inlet at the valve cover. Spray the motor with soapy water and look for bubbles. It'll show any leaks easily.
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...ssor-regulator-kit-with-dial-gauge-68223.html
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back