• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pan drain plug leak

fwi

Local time
11:54 AM
Reaction score
My 65 Coronet race car has an 8 qt Mopar Performance oil pan that keeps on leaking, one drop at a time…..I have replaced 2 drain plugs and gaskets so far…..still drips!!!
Could it be the oil pan maybe a small crack at the drain plug or maybe it is bent?:BangHead::BangHead:

I would try using a oil resistant O ring on the plug,Also have u tried a thicker nylon washer?

I have a copper washer on it now and it still drips!!!!!!!!!!! :angry1:

These oil drain plug washers work great...

199291d1297130150-oil-drain-plug-size-seal-washer-2.jpg

I had same problem. I had a 7 qt pan and it started out with just a small drip. Every time I changed the oil I would change the type of washer I had on the oil plug. After 2 years the drip started getting worse. I finally decided to really look at it and to my surprise I found a small hairline crack just outside of where the washer goes on the pan. I changed the pan and the drip went away. Apparently the pan had a small crack when it was installed. I changed the valve cover gaskets several times thinking this was the problem. I just couldn't believe a new oil pan was cracked. For the second oil pan I went with a Milodon from mancini racing and no more drips. Don't know if this is your problem but it sounds real familiar.

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/38hemlowprof.html

- - - Updated - - -

do you have a link where we can buy 'em?

I tried these also but they couldn't fix my problem.

I'm thinking there is a hairline crack at the threads on the oil pan. Guess I will drain the oil again tomorrow and look it over with a microscope (or a magnifying glass).

I had the same problem with a brand new Milidon oil pan. Ended up putting a small amount of "the right stuff" gasket silicone on the threads of the plug and no more leak. I do this every time now.

I put one of those washers "plucked chicken" showed and it still drips. I think I found the problem, the pan is just beat up around where the bolt goes in so it is not really flat and even, I will put clear silicone on it tomorrow with a brand new bolt and washer, see what happens.

You can also remove the nut inside the pan and braze on a new nut from the inside. Test for leakage with gasoline(in pan) it will find any small cracks left. Not a hard job, but does take time. If you can not weld take pan to someone that can, remove old nut yourself.(no disrespect)

I put one of those washers "plucked chicken" showed and it still drips. I think I found the problem, the pan is just beat up around where the bolt goes in so it is not really flat and even, I will put clear silicone on it tomorrow with a brand new bolt and washer, see what happens.

RTV would be my last choice - How about Permatex Right Stuff?

I do have some black Permatex gasket sealant as well.

if the washers plucked chicken showed dont solve the problem,then you have pan damage.we switched to those here at the shop and never had any leaks.anybody who sells dorman or mighty products can get them.can you file the mounting suface flat?

Auto Transport Service
Back