• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

oil pan leak

ksurfer2

Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
I have a 7qt Charlies oil pan with an external pick up under my 440/512. There was a nagging leak coming from the pick up fittings so I decided to tackle that project today (instead of hanging out with the in-laws). Well one thing led to another and I ended up dropping the whole pan. Time consuming, but not a bad job, and not a job I want to do again any time soon. The pan always seeped just enough to be annoying from the mating surface to the block so this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. When I started scraping gasket from the pan, I found a very thin metal "shim" that was sandwiched between two layers of paper gasket.

So my questions are.....on the pick up fittings, should I use a thread sealer or teflon tape to prevent any further leaks?

What is with the metal shim in the gasket?

What is the best gasket to use to avoid any future leaks/seapage?

Teflon tape or thread sealer on the pan bolts?

I am hoping to have a dry pan when I am done so any help is appreciated.

I use Ultra grey RTV on the fittings. Also use it to seal the pan. Never had a leak. Be sure to fill in the rear main seal retainer bolt hole recesses with RTV. The pan doesn't completely cover them. I use a gasket on the pan for one reason only. With nothing but Ultra grey it's nearly imposisble to remove the pan. If you use a gasket, the gasket with rip apart when you remove the pan.
Doug

Last edited:
Since I have no idea what you have there, I have no idea what to advise. You talk about external fittings, then about block to pan gaskets. what is your question?

Blue fitting at drivers side of pan. Line is covered in orange heat wrap to the pump.. Mine only uses 1 of the two.
Doug

20210510_182317.jpg

Superformance. Mancini has them.
20200408_093841-jpg.jpg

It won't squeeze out. 1/8 bead of Permatex Gasket maker. Lightly snug then wait 12 hrs for final torque. Or use Permatex "The Right Stuff" and use right away.

Since I have no idea what you have there, I have no idea what to advise. You talk about external fittings, then about block to pan gaskets. what is your question?
My two questions where how to properly seal the pan to the block, and how to properly seal the through-pan fittings for rhe external pick up.

Auto Transport Service
Back