• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pan Question?

Myasylum

Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
The oil pan on my 1972 Satellite with a 400 is pretty beat up and dented so I thought I might want to replace it. Where is a good place to find a stock pan? I saw Summit has one, but it's a 6qt.
Do I need new windage tray too?
I figured I may as well get new a high volume pump too.

Thanks!

The oil pan on my 1972 Satellite with a 400 is pretty beat up and dented so I thought I might want to replace it. Where is a good place to find a stock pan? I saw Summit has one, but it's a 6qt.
Do I need new windage tray too?
I figured I may as well get new a high volume pump too.

Thanks!
A note of the Oil Pump...HV Pump is basically no better than any of the other out there and available. Here is a segment on that subject. As for a windage tray? Might as well change it as the new oil pan, gasket, and mounting surface will need to be cleaned so as to get a good tight seal when installing the new. Also a o good Co-metric type gasket is the best route over the standard cork type. That is my opinion only but I have used them on all my engine re-builds/builds and have had gret success. Here is the link on the oil pumps...cr8crshr/Bill...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOmMDF8sNro:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Thank You! Where are you buying the stock oil pans from?
Just watched the video... wow! Stock seems to be the way to go in this application!

Thanks!

Thank You! Where are you buying the stock oil pans from?
Just watched the video... wow! Stock seems to be the way to go in this application!

Thanks!
I have bought them from eBay, Summit, and other vendors out there. My Oil Pan is a 402 on my 383 66 Ply Sat so I found one online that was NOS and bought it. Here is the web site for Cometic Gaskets...cr8crshr/Bill :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :usflag: :usflag: :usflag: Cometic Gasket - Sealed Under Extreme Pressure

A note of the Oil Pump...HV Pump is basically no better than any of the other out there and available. Here is a segment on that subject. As for a windage tray? Might as well change it as the new oil pan, gasket, and mounting surface will need to be cleaned so as to get a good tight seal when installing the new. Also a o good Co-metric type gasket is the best route over the standard cork type. That is my opinion only but I have used them on all my engine re-builds/builds and have had gret success. Here is the link on the oil pumps...cr8crshr/Bill...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::usflag::usflag::usflag:

Was that video about oil levels, or oil pumps?

Was that video about oil levels, or oil pumps?
yep :thumbsup: this isn't really for you, I know you know
it was
Oil levels in a custom pan... too much kills power
it wasn't really about the pump, it was a BBC too
still does the same thing

(as you probably already know also)

a BBM HV Mellings oil pump is the way to go,
on almost any BBM
(you will need slightly longer bolts, to bolt it to the engine, that don't come
with the HV oil pump, ARP has kits, so does 440 Source.com Homepage )
& don't overfill the oil pan/capacity, even on a 5qt system
is what they are saying

keep the oil under the windage tray
so the crank isn't aerating the oil
(or causing oil to foam & loss of oil pressure control)
so it also has a place to drain back
&/or the oil (too full) actually the crank hitting the oil

for those that don't "actually" know or "are new to this stuff"
for a mild street-performance use the BBM 6 qt pan & oil pickup
comes in either 3/8" (like 383-400) or 1/2" pickup, like a Hemi pan
specifically for a B-Body
if you have the room to fit it, is a decent & inexpensive way to go

Or if you're not spinning it over 5,000 RPM regularly
you can use the OE pan, no harm no foul

test to see where the oil level is
you can do it on a table, pan off the engine
set the windage tray in it, fill till it is just below the windage tray