• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump questions

Myasylum

Local time
5:03 PM
Reaction score
Just bought a new Melling M-63HV oil pump. I was reading how it should be cleaned and lubed with Vaseline? I have a new cam with break in oil. Will the Vaseline mess with the break in process?? I thought about just using break in lube instead of the Vaseline.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Just stick it in a gallon can with two quarts of oil, (Anything cheap) and use a drill and a piece of allen wrench to
power the pump. It will clean everything out of the pump and pre-lube it so when you start the engine it will pick
up the oil through the pickup. Easy-Peasy!

I opened it up and it was prefect inside clean as can be and lubed. I
saw a You tube video where the "new" pump was pretty nasty.

I always open up, inspect, clean and lube (with motor oil) new pumps. I assume they were assembled by humans and we're not all perfect. Prelubing engines is mandatory in my shop!
Mike

Depends which engine. The SB has the pump immersed in oil, so it is not critical.
The BB is not immersed in oil & will require some sort of lubricant as an initial seal to draw oil from the pan. I think vaseline or light grease is better for this than oil.

The method of pre-packing the pump with petroleum jelly or a grease has been a source of debate forever....some swear by it, some swear at it. In truth like '493' said you should always open the pump for a pre-install cleanout and inspection,"just in case". Simply spinning the pump in oil a few times prior to install to get a film on the innards is all that's needed so it's not dry dry. It will then be fine to make a few revolutions later when priming the engine for first fire.

Grease in Oil Pumps??? New Tech Tip on Priming your Oil Pump - Melling

I opened it up and it was prefect inside clean as can be and lubed. I
saw a You tube video where the "new" pump was pretty nasty.
That's good news! I'm only batting about .500 on new pumps...only once did I find actual metallic debris that would have ended my day, but many times they were just filthy dirty. It only takes a few minutes to check...now you KNOW yours is good to go for service!

Never stick it in dry. Always lube before putting it in. That way you'll be sure the surfaces slide easily as the pump starts pumping.

Auto Transport Service
Back