• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Temperature Gauge

Miccara

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
I have a mechanical Oil TEMPERATURE gauge. Where on a 440 block would this connect? Looks like a 5/8" - maybe 1/2" fitting (or thereabouts). I'm guessing the only real option is the oil pan drain nut.

Last edited:
At the rear top of the block there is an oil feed hole for stock gauges.
It will not fit there?

The -sending unit- is mounted on the port on the engine.
This could get complicated regarding proper plumbing connections.--Lots of fitting size questions come up.
One thing to look out for is having a mechanical oil pressure line coming in underfoot. If it leaks that would suck.
A sender connection for oil temp does not have to come from the same port as the sender for the pressure gauge.

Last edited:
You want your oil temperature to be taken from the pan.

buy a drain plug and drill it then tap it for 1/8" pipe. Go buy an electric oil temp. gauge and your in business.
Your oil temperature shouldn't be much over 200 deg. so you don't need a gauge that goes much over 240. If your oil temp is over 240 something is not happy.

Hey guys,

any chance I can get my mechanical oil temp Autometer Z series 2609 with a 3/8 NPT threaded sending unit in my Drain plug spot? Can´t find any adapters, always just for 1/8 NPT....

I fitted an electrical oil temp gage sender in my drain plug but I don’t think you could do the same with a mechanical gage probe.

Auto Transport Service
Back