• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok, how do I tell the difference between 71/72 and 73/74 door panels?

Montclaire

Local time
10:08 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how to figure out the difference between 71/72 and 73/74 upper door panels? Everyone assumes they are the same but I have found that they are not. I think the earlier ones may be shorter? I know the clip locations are different but I can't determine that several states away. Thanks

Charger?

front doors:

aside the diff design pattern on 71s with the medallion ( 72 and lates are the same design ) 71/72s are allmost couple of inches taller on rear than 73/74. This is because the higher quarter glass opening cut, making also a taller door.

Rest parts are the same size ( lenght and front height ). I'd say clips panels locations are the same too, but the rear height makes not posible to swap them.

talking about rear panels, everything changes according with the quarter glass shape or option... but 71 and 72s hardtops/coupes changes between them... not SEs. Same applies with 73/74s, but not between 71/72s and 73/74, any model

Then we have also the extra padded brougham panels availables on 73/74s, mostly on SEs but also some hardtops got it.

Plymouths... I think they all swap, but I can't tell for sure.

Thank you, Nacho. Can anyone give me a measurement at the striker end? Thanks

Yes, and several look very similar, which is why I am asking for a measurement.

OK, I will measure the ones that are on my 72 today - and I will measure the ones I have for sale - the really nice blue ones you asked about a few weeks ago.
Stay tuned,
JON

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the measurements:

1971 -1972 Charger - 12 inches at the rear of the door panel. Measured from the very back edge from top to bottom.

The really nice 74 panels I have listed are as follows: 11 1/8 inches measured at the same spot: At the very back of the panel from top to bottom.

Maybe this will help you in your decision. It is hard to find ones to measure "loose" and check them side by side. This is verified with what Nacho said above. Thanks Nacho!

Godspeed,
JON

[video]http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/[/video]

Auto Transport Service
Back