• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OK loaded question here what are your thoughts about new or old school........ :)

Which interior do you like more in old muscle cars.

• Total voters
Good question. I like a mixture, when I started my current project I thought about shaving the handles, locks and gutters. I love the old fashion chrome thumb button door handles and really hate water dripping in the car when the windows are down besides the trim sets the car off I think so I kept them. I chose to completely replace the interior (hate 68-70 b body interiors), paint it bright orange, build a stout 456", go to 18" & 19" wheels, tighten up the bumper fitments and will upgrade it to a 6 speed someday. DSCN8555.jpgDSCN7416.jpg

I see Chevy guys doing this all the time, my neighbor plans on a total custom Lexus / firebird / something blah blah interior.

My thought on this is simple If I wanted modern convenience and comfort I would go buy a new car. I want what the factory provided at least as close as freaking possible even if it doesn't work but was there. If you want to hide a modern stereo or something like that sure understandable, but a carbon fiber dash and custom blah blah not working for myself. Just seems sacrilegious

Ditto, if I want new car performance I will buy a new car, if I want an autocross car I'll buy a sports car. I like the day 2 type cars like I had in the 1980s, so that's what I'm going to build.

I really do like the idea of the modern suspensions, drive train (and reliability) with some retro touches on modern seats with keeping a stock appearance on the exterior. The problem is that you'll have more into it than a fully restored Hemi car and much more into it than it would ever be worth.

I wasted way too many $$$$$$$$$$$ trying to impress the car show/originality crowd with my cars. Now I say screw them. :) If they want to spend their time, money, and effort making cars as original as possible, more power to them, but for me... I want a car that I enjoy, that doesn't look like every other car of that make/model/year. Car shows aren't much fun when you spend hours arguing over who's car has the most correct minute details like markings on bolts or the right washer, but they are a lot of fun when you're talking to people who see your car is different and stop by to check it out, especially the folks who aren't interested in Mopars.

Back in the 70s and 80s, I couldn't wait to customize my cars and now I do the same thing. As I told my P&B guy, his work only has to make one person happy, me. :)

Good question. I like a mixture, when I started my current project I thought about shaving the handles, locks and gutters. I love the old fashion chrome thumb button door handles and really hate water dripping in the car when the windows are down besides the trim sets the car off I think so I kept them. I chose to completely replace the interior (hate 68-70 b body interiors), paint it bright orange, build a stout 456", go to 18" & 19" wheels, tighten up the bumper fitments and will upgrade it to a 6 speed someday. View attachment 172162View attachment 172161

Looks great brother and cool you are getting to use your multiple skill-sets it to make it your own

I appreciate any quality work that goes into a car. It's like a lead sled custom, not my style but I appreciate all the work that goes into it. I tend to lean toward the stock look but some minor custom touches are OK. Those seats look cool Darius and the interior isn't too over the top. You said it Bruzilla, build it for yourself and not to impress others. Cool lookin Charger 747mopar.

my 67 Coronet is a metal dash, so I kept the character of the old car with tons of Chrome, but i replaced the dash panel with an aluminum insert. This allowed me to install 6 Auto meter super Comp gauges. I like the new 5.7, 6.1 motors they try to pawn it off as a Hemi which it is not. The Gen II Hemi can't be compared to but again the cost of building Hemi II and Hemi I is so High that the new Motors is making more sense.

Good question. I like a mixture, when I started my current project I thought about shaving the handles, locks and gutters. I love the old fashion chrome thumb button door handles and really hate water dripping in the car when the windows are down besides the trim sets the car off I think so I kept them. I chose to completely replace the interior (hate 68-70 b body interiors), paint it bright orange, build a stout 456", go to 18" & 19" wheels, tighten up the bumper fitments and will upgrade it to a 6 speed someday.

shes a real perty girl, ain't she...LOL...

- - - Updated - - -

I really do like the idea of the modern suspensions, drive train (and reliability) with some retro touches on modern seats with keeping a stock appearance on the exterior. The problem is that you'll have more into it than a fully restored Hemi car and much more into it than it would ever be worth.

Yep many times you will, especially if you don't do much of the work/labor yourself... It can add up really fast... But I still don't have anywhere near what $$$ it would cost, just to buy a decent &/or restorable "Hemi anything", but it's resale isn't like the $$$ from the sale of a "Hemi anything" afterwards either, yet !!... I don't really build any of my personal cars for resale, I build them for me & my driving style, likes & dislikes.... Building cars for resale isn't/hasn't been a good investment for me, not worth the time let alone $$$ invested, sometimes... I get way too attached to my projects too... I'm sure, that some will have much better success, than I did thou... More power to them... Good luck, to anyone who tries, it's not an easy way to make a "good living", but can be a rewarding one... If you can time your sales to the right market, sell in the right place & in the top of the bubbles, in the muscle car market...

Like the "Old School Cool" on the interiors myself...

543091_10151151615359567_1955866963_n.jpg

Always neat to see other folks ideas and ingenuity, as far as interiors goes as well.

my '67 is going to be "updated" no crazy **** but i'm leaning towards doing an updated cluster, seeing 2 sets of gauges, i.e. temp, tach, oil, DRIVES ME NUTS but thats just me. lol. I do think its pretty cool to have to original looking radio with the modern day guts and digital inner-workings that only show when the car is on.

I'm with Cranky, RC, Budnicks, 747, etc. I guess for me it really depends on the car, and how the interior is done. I see a lot of different interiors I like, everything from full custom, to "bare bones" race interior, to factory, and like a little of everything.

Personally I'm somewhere in between all of em. Planning on basically "day two"ing the factory interior on my Charger, pretty much stock but racing seats, 6 point bar/cage, pretty much stock door panels but without map pockets, Sparco steering wheel, machining some custom interior door handles a lot like the stock ones but a little more "race" looking with spot-faced speed holes, eventually some added gauges (boost! :grin:) and maybe a couple switches will have to go somewhere on the dash if I add line-locks or something. I really like the Charger's original interior design so I'm just adding a little personal touch I guess.

If I had the time/money/skills, I'd like to do a full custom interior on a project along the lines of what Pure Vision does on their cars. Really bad@ss looking custom interiors that look amazing without being too over-done, I love their builds

my 67 Coronet is a metal dash, so I kept the character of the old car with tons of Chrome, but i replaced the dash panel with an aluminum insert. This allowed me to install 6 Auto meter super Comp gauges. I like the new 5.7, 6.1 motors they try to pawn it off as a Hemi which it is not. The Gen II Hemi can't be compared to but again the cost of building Hemi II and Hemi I is so High that the new Motors is making more sense.

If I had a 67 I wouldn't have gone to extremes with my interior, the 67's are really nice inside. I don't know what happened with the 68-69 but pre 68 they were metal and chrome (really nice) and then after 70 they had the really nicely molded dashes and pads but for 68-70 it was just padding bolted all over the dash.:icon_scratch:

If I had a 67 I wouldn't have gone to extremes with my interior, the 67's are really nice inside. I don't know what happened with the 68-69 but pre 68 they were metal and chrome (really nice) and then after 70 they had the really nicely molded dashes and pads but for 68-70 it was just padding bolted all over the dash.:icon_scratch:

do not get me wrong, i love my interior. i just don't like having 2 sets of gauges and 1 set just there. i'd rather have the newer gauges in the correct spot.
i may do a fiberglass center console when i swap to a manual tranny but thats down the road. other then that the interior is going all black with some white accents.
OH and i want to do full power options inside, windows, keyless entry, push button ignition, power driver seat. BUT with the exception of the missing window levers and push button start the normal eye wouldnt see it. i want to hide the window switches and such.
just a very CLEAN SMOOTH FLOWING INTERIOR - fung shooey if you will.
DSC00963.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

i keep reading. "day two" what is that?

i keep reading. "day two" what is that?

That's a cool idea with the power windows and everything but hiding the switches, it'd be really b!tchin to have the stock window handles actuate the switch somehow :thinker: (have them horizontal or whatever and just a short throw up or down to hit the switch) I'll be trying to put my car on a major diet so no interior power anything for me, but that's a cool idea!

And "day two" as in "the day after you bought your brand spankin' new mopar and started the light customizations to make it a little more personal"

My favorite gauge setup was in a 73 Road Runner I had in 1989. I had a universal overhead console installed, which had an angled front area where you could mount a stereo. I got a hold of a miniature S/W gauge cluster that the Florida Highway Patrol had installed in all their cruisers and that I got out of a wrecked FHP unit for $5, and mounted it into the console's radio area. Before I mounted the cluster I ran the car with the gauges hooked up for an hour or so to let me see where all the normal ranges were, then rotated the gauges within the cluster so that when the gauges were reading normal, the needles were pointed straight up.

The result was I had a full set of gauges that were directly in my line of vision when I was engaged in non-sanctioned, legally-contrary, speed and accelerations demonstrations, i.e., street racing, and as long as all the needles were pointed straight up I knew everything was ok.

Very Interesting answers hey i say what the person likes is what they should do its there car.. :)

Factory exterior? Factory interior.
Day Two look? Factory interior with the addition of factory-era bucket seats, a Sun tach, floor shifter (if it was a column shift car).
Modern "stance", wheels, etc? Modernized with modern seats, steering wheel, gauges.
Full on custom car? Full on custom interior.

Here is a before and after of mine. I restored just about everything in the interior and tried to keep it correct with all the rest of it. I took some liberties but for the most part kept it stock original. The one thing I really do like are the high back seats for today's driving environment. They weren't available in 66 but still would look nice. I suppose I could find correct headrests but then it would require re-skinning and I just don't want to go through that. Top 2 are before/Bottom 2 after.....

Attachments

• My%2520New%2520Car%252010.jpg
    My%2520New%2520Car%252010.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 188
  • My%2520New%2520Car%25207.jpg
    My%2520New%2520Car%25207.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 184
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg