• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok Ok, Ive learned my lesson about engine blackout - Now What??

Man, you mopar guys are not half bad! Great responses my brothers. I appreciate it all. Kinda answers my question for me. I had started to strip the entire front of the core support/headlight bucket area so I could prime and paint it yellow, but I dont think it really is worth it if it should be blacked out anyway. I can give it a pretty good scuff and shoot it black but really since the grille and headlights will cover it anyway, I think I will probably be close to a stopping point. Got both inner fenders and inner core support dont today. Will work on the firewall tomorrow.

Im not doing a factory correct show quality restoration, but I refuse to half *** it just because Im doing it for free. Thanks again for all the advice.

short stack

I think you made the right decision on painting it black..it will look like crap with yellow coming out behind the grille...and if you are at a Mopar show and open the hood, first thing everyone is gonna notice & say something about will be the rad support color...

they will say it was done by a Chevy guy....oh, wait...LOL

My '66 Bright Red Charger's entire radiator core support is body color. Still has original factory paint inspector's circle stamp, so it looks like there is precedence....
I've noticed the stamp before on the inner passenger side fender in front of the windshield washer bottle, but never saw it on the front of the core support until tonite when snapping these pix...

va2yne8y.jpg

ze6y3aha.jpg

y5yje4y4.jpg

Last edited:

WHOA RIGHT THERE - Wait just a doggone minute boys. Black front filler panel???

I had planned to paint mine body color (yellow) to match engine compartment and exterior.

I am doing 1970 Roadrunner, maybe the year of yours and mine make a difference??

short stack

Man re no fun, trying to get this chebby guy some bad info so he will have to do it twice lol!

Oh well too many nice correct guys here my fun has been dampened boooo

Oh btw flat black out the front lol

20130908_130749_zps6848840b.jpg

Ok big man, thank you for the photo! Keep them coming brothers, I appreciate it. The reason Im wanting to know so much about the front side of core support is that I dont feel the need to strip this one down to bare metal to paint it yellow just to paint over it with black. If this were a concours restoration then I would do it just to be 100% accurate, but since this is just a driver, if that all needs to be black, I will prep and prime it and give it a shot of semi flat black and leave it at that. Im ok with doing body color if need be, but not worth the work if its going to get blacked out in the end to look good behind the grill anyway.

BTW - this car is ALL GREEN on the front side of core support, including bolt heads, etc and then blacked out. What I dont know is how much was done at factory, or by bubba over the past 40 years. Just trying to get it right the first time.

short stack

WHOA RIGHT THERE - Wait just a doggone minute boys. Black front filler panel???

I had planned to paint mine body color (yellow) to match engine compartment and exterior.

I am doing 1970 Roadrunner, maybe the year of yours and mine make a difference??

short stack

I was not trying to indicate any previous info was not correct, but there seems to be a few variables as to what cars had the black on the front of the core support. Conventional wisdom seems to be lighter cars, but I have additional pix of my old 66 Plymouth belvedere that seems to indicate it was body color as well, and that car was white...
I know my Charger is dead stock correct, as it has the factory inspection stamps, including on the forward rad core support as pictured above...

Look at the links for my car. It's a 69 St. Louis car.
It's a MOPAR. Paint it yellow and some black on the radiator support, somewhere.
That's about all I can figure.

made progress on the core support today. Got it all in primer. Headed for the firewall tomorrow and this weekend.

short stack

Attachments

• 2014-01-23 21.38.25.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 159
I read somewhere that the "correct" proceedure was to spray upwards at a 45 degree angle...it mimics the factory line technique, ie: the blackout-guy was in a pit (or the cars were elevated, depending on the plant I guess) and sprayed upward. No tape, no masking.
I'd bet the cars without the blackout treatment were built on a Monday or Friday.

I read somewhere that the "correct" proceedure was to spray upwards at a 45 degree angle...it mimics the factory line technique, ie: the blackout-guy was in a pit (or the cars were elevated, depending on the plant I guess) and sprayed upward. No tape, no masking.
I'd bet the cars without the blackout treatment were built on a Monday or Friday.

You just saved me typing up a paragraph Jonny lol. This is exactly what I have heard also. I have a book somewhere that shows this being done - it wasn't a very high tech operation.

NO COMMENT!! lol

If you are doing it "right" :) and painting the engine compartment body colour I would wait on here to get the factory blackout lines and do it as such... The blackout behind the grill on a light colour car does look better. Another useful tip that I got off here from another member (GRABINOV911) is aluminum foil works great to mask off any lines or anything that needs to be wrapped.

Mike

i needs to know for shure blk or body color

i need to know for shure,after reading all these posts i still dont,so where can i find out before i put my car back together.IMG_1920.jpg

Exactly this.

- - - Updated - - -

i need to know for shure,after reading all these posts i still dont,so where can i find out before i put my car back together.View attachment 164679

High impact color, black it out.

If you're unsure, mock up the front bumper and grill and take a look, the areas that need blackout will be glaringly obvious.

Just switch colors on the car. Go black, then, no problem, lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back