• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ok Ok, Ive learned my lesson about engine blackout - Now What??

short stack

Local time
11:20 PM
Reaction score
I learned my lesson about even discussing blacking out the engine compartment (Although this car does not deserve the love Im giving it, Im going to paint it yellow, but thats another story...) So, Ive got the paint stripper out and Im going at it. I know from all the restoration photos I have seen with cars on dollys that the core support, fenders, engine compartment, inside of front fenders etc, all gets painted body color.

BUT What happens to the grill side of the core support and head light bucket areas? Seems like that all gets blacked out after being painted body color. I hate to do all the work to strip the grill side of the core support and paint it body color just to paint over it with blackout.

WHAT SAY YE??

thanks

short stack

Attachments

• 2014-01-22 14.59.58.jpg
    2014-01-22 14.59.58.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 615
If the paint that's there is not peeling or rusty I would just lightly sand it and paint over it.

If the paint that's there is not peeling or rusty I would just lightly sand it and paint over it.

this is what I started out with. black over orange over green so I had to strip the core support and fenders. May do as you suggest when I get to the firewall as it is mostly green.

Attachments

• 2014-01-15 19.20.01.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 534
Certain colors had the factory black out. Obviously the lighter colors would top the list. Sorry, I can't tell you for sure where the cutoff is for the black out, but i'm sure one member of the coveted FBBO Mopar Archives & Dewey Decimal System Association will show up to point out the mask lines for you.

Body color all of it, the grill and bezels will look better with the yellow in the background it will be hard to see anyway with hood closed driving. Looks like you are very close to being ready for a repaint. Take the master cylinder off and the support bracket, the only one thing you are allowed to paint black the MS bracket! lol Don't forget to gloss black you k member.

Lucky you !
I already been there done that and it isn't fun but do it rite and you will love the end product !

What's up with the Chevy sign? Are you saving it to patch holes with or something?

By the way, good luck on your restro. Keep sending pics!

anything visible through the front grill is supposed to be black....if you leave it yellow, it will look like crap

actually, all in front of rad support should be black

Attachments

• DCP_2597.jpg
    DCP_2597.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 476
My 66 Belvedere is painted flat black over the original body color on front of the core support. Even tho the rest of the car had about 30 million coats of paint, the front of the core support is still original and some of the blue shows through from years of being road blasted but it's not flaking off one bit.

ive taken apart many cars that have had the whole front of the core support black. everything facing forward behind the grill. some didn't even look masked off, just simply bombed. have even seen it on F8 colored cars (dark metallic green) . I think its safe to say 80% of the cars had some kind of blacked out core support.

Certain colors had the factory black out. Obviously the lighter colors would top the list. Sorry, I can't tell you for sure where the cutoff is for the black out, but i'm sure one member of the coveted FBBO Mopar Archives & Dewey Decimal System Association will show up to point out the mask lines for you.

Dating yourself there Will. :eek:lder OS:

yea..my OE 66 posted above looks like it was "spray bombed" at the factory...over spray in places...no masking at all

black cars got sprayed also...it was kind of a flat black even though the engine bay and outside were originally black

light color cars blackout dark cars body color.

no...all cars got painted, even darker colors..it's not really a paint...at least it does not act like it...almost seems it's like a sealer..maybe because it gets all the road crap thrown at it first

I was thinking this morning about grief you took on the black joke.
On this car, I can certainly see wanting to match the engine compartment to the body color as it should be, considering what it is.
But you know what? On a daily driver, espcially one that is a dark color, I might paint the compartment black.
It sure looks better from dirt and stuff. Ask me how I know.

But it was already like that when I got it and mutiple paint jobs later, it is still black.
I've got a Y3 car (That I painted too) and the yellow is a PITA to keep clean.
I was also thinking about what you said about the cost of a paint job.
Never really though about how much money I was saving by DIY.
Guess I would charge that for my work.
And I've gotten pretty good at Acylic Enamel No clear coat for me. Can't touch it up.

But I do draw the line at splater painting the trunk.

2 cents
The Mopars we own are painted black on the core supports facing both the front and the engine compartment side
Gonzo :eusa_wall:

yea..my OE 66 posted above looks like it was "spray bombed" at the factory...over spray in places...no masking at all

black cars got sprayed also...it was kind of a flat black even though the engine bay and outside were originally black

no...all cars got painted, even darker colors..it's not really a paint...at least it does not act like it...almost seems it's like a sealer..maybe because it gets all the road crap thrown at it first

Nope. My 66 383 car was marroon and never repainted.

2 cents
The Mopars we own are painted black on the core supports facing both the front and the engine compartment side
Gonzo :eusa_wall:

my 66 is painted black on the front, and body color on the back side of core support....

I think it was a hit or miss thing at the plant on dark cars.Seems ma did a lot of strange stuff. May depend on the plant.The 66 in my avatar was blacked out. It was originally gold.I,ve had 5 66,s.

Auto Transport Service
Back