• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old fart issues...

patrick66

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I fell while walking across the street a few months ago, fortunately at the curb, so I didn't get hurt. Not even scraped up! Kinda scared me, of course, since that was a first for me. Gravity is a bitch! Doc said "balance issues" and started a weekly PT routine, which had helped a bunch! Fast forward to Sunday. My son and I were out cutting branches and getting rid of some overgrowth along the fence line. Knocking it out like there was no tomorrow! After that, I went over to my tractor to disconnect the brush hog and put the tractor in the shop. It has a pretty heavy power steering pump leak I'd rather be indoors to fix. I was removing the mover deck from the three-point, using a 5-pound hammer to get that %^&#$-ing arm off the mower. Took a healthy swing at the arm. It came off hard, and I fell, narrowly missing a cinder block nearby. Didn't hit my head, but damn, my knee hurt like hell where the hammer hit it on the way down! As Monty Python would say "It's just a scratch!"...

Now to yesterday...I got off the couch, walked two steps, got a little light-headed and fell backwards onto the couch. Now I'm wondering if there might be something going on. Most of us here are between 50 and 75 years of age. Have any of you experienced balance problems that either were/are no big deal, or the extreme? I hate going to doctors...we all do, probably. I refuse to take any painkiller stronger than aspirin.

Not looking for an online diagnosis. That might be like going to the doc and asking "Hey Doc, my carb needs rebuilt, can you do that?" Or sympathy. Just looking to see if any of you have had similar balance issues. This just has me a bit spooked, but I'm reticent about going to the doc right now.

A few times, but I just blame the wife for tilting the house to one side... :thumbsup:

I fell while walking across the street a few months ago, fortunately at the curb, so I didn't get hurt. Not even scraped up! Kinda scared me, of course, since that was a first for me. Gravity is a bitch! Doc said "balance issues" and started a weekly PT routine, which had helped a bunch! Fast forward to Sunday. My son and I were out cutting branches and getting rid of some overgrowth along the fence line. Knocking it out like there was no tomorrow! After that, I went over to my tractor to disconnect the brush hog and put the tractor in the shop. It has a pretty heavy power steering pump leak I'd rather be indoors to fix. I was removing the mover deck from the three-point, using a 5-pound hammer to get that %^&#$-ing arm off the mower. Took a healthy swing at the arm. It came off hard, and I fell, narrowly missing a cinder block nearby. Didn't hit my head, but damn, my knee hurt like hell where the hammer hit it on the way down! As Monty Python would say "It's just a scratch!"...

Now to yesterday...I got off the couch, walked two steps, got a little light-headed and fell backwards onto the couch. Now I'm wondering if there might be something going on. Most of us here are between 50 and 75 years of age. Have any of you experienced balance problems that either were/are no big deal, or the extreme? I hate going to doctors...we all do, probably. I refuse to take any painkiller stronger than aspirin.

Not looking for an online diagnosis. That might be like going to the doc and asking "Hey Doc, my carb needs rebuilt, can you do that?" Or sympathy. Just looking to see if any of you have had similar balance issues. This just has me a bit spooked, but I'm reticent about going to the doc right now.
I completely understand about not wanting to go to the Dr’s. My question is, have you had a physical or blood work done lately? Could be something really small or just the fact that we’re getting older. (Not that I’d admit it, lol)

Make sure to check for low blood pressure & sugar levels. Wishing you well..

I wasn't anywhere near my BP checker or my blood sugar tester, unfortunately. I didn't think of either then, since both are in the normal range nearly al of the time.

I just had blood work done last week Thursday, and the doc didn't report anything abnormal.

Doc said "balance issues" and started a weekly PT routine, which had helped a bunch! Now to yesterday...I got off the couch, walked two steps, got a little light-headed and fell backwards onto the couch. Now I'm wondering if there might be something going on.

You should've asked the Doc, what balance issues??? As said, how's your BP? Low BP can cause that lightheaded feeling upon standing up to quick. Most balance issues are either strength issues or somethings going wrong with your inner ears messin with your balance gyros. Don't take this matter lightly!!! Good Luck

Blood pressure or inner ear issue. What's your alcohol intake like....
Zero. I quit drinking a long time ago, maybe three beers a year. Since they've started selling Yuengling here, that is such a good US beer compared to all of the domestic swill out there!

I've thought about inner ear problems being the cause. No signs of ear pain or infections. But with PT helping considerably before, it's probably something else. I've got an appointment next week with the doc anyway (quarterly thing) to see what might be causing the balance thing to be an issue again.

Last edited:
I have been on BP medication for about 2 years. A couple of weeks ago after doing just little simple things, I was ready to pass out. I had my BP checked while at my wifes appointment and it was down to 118/72....damn good for me ! I started taking half the med and have been fine ever since. I have lost almost 15 pounds in the last 30 days on keto, so the weight loss could have had an effect. I am also prone to vertigo spells, but once those start it hard to make them stop. If it didnt keep bugging you than it probably isnt and ear issue. Sugar and BP are the big culprits in your description.

Getting up and feel dizzy can be as simple as being dehydrated. Just drink a little more water.

Like posted, low BP will really mess your balance up if your bent over and then stand up straight.
I went through it, was on BP meds but lost weight on a diet, dropped 25lb,
Well so did my bp it went down damn near a point per lb. I take 1/2 a pill now and am good.
Also like posted the ears will do it also.Get checked out.

The earlier posts have done a good job of addressing the most common causes. I used to have some transient balance stuff when I was still driving a truck. Catch 22 situation of having to medicate fairly heavily to pass the blood pressure number on DOT physicals (stress from need to make numbers would produce borderline passing score, low normal otherwise.) Quit truck driving, doc cut my meds in half, now no issues.

Wife has a rare issue that can produce the same results - chronic neuropathy, defect in the nerve insulation similar to MS, but location in on the peripheral nerves, rather than brain or spinal cord. Her younger sister has MS, so there seems to be a genetic component here. In both sisters it has manifested at what I refer to as a manageable nuisance level for nearly two decades. Key thing is finding a balance between overdoing things, and being sedentary. Either extreme generates problems.

One more variable for those of us born before 1955. Mild motor neuron damage from non paralytic polio can start causing issues when the ageing process begins, and reduced total motor neuron count starts producing muscle endurance issues, when pushing beyond a threshold level. I've been dealing with this since I turned 65. Management same as my wife's deal, striking a balance with activity, and in my case, I use mobility aids for distance.

May not be a bad idea to sit down when you go to pee. You don’t need to pass out and wack your head on the porcelain bowl or tub.

May not be a bad idea to sit down when you go to pee. You don’t need to pass out and wack your head on the porcelain bowl or tub.
...and piss all over the place.

Nothing makes you feel "old" quite like pissing all over yourself and/or others.

fart.jpg

I have been on BP medication for about 2 years. A couple of weeks ago after doing just little simple things, I was ready to pass out. I had my BP checked while at my wifes appointment and it was down to 118/72....damn good for me ! I started taking half the med and have been fine ever since. I have lost almost 15 pounds in the last 30 days on keto, so the weight loss could have had an effect. I am also prone to vertigo spells, but once those start it hard to make them stop. If it didnt keep bugging you than it probably isnt and ear issue. Sugar and BP are the big culprits in your description.
15 pounds in 30 days time. Holy S*#T.
I thought my weight loss of 2 pounds a week, from the first week in April, till now, is an accomplishment.
My goal is 200, but i may keep on going down, if the flab around the belly doesn't go away, in the next 15.

20+ years ago I had a bout with balance issues after coming down from a step ladder in the shop. If there wasn't a car near by I would have fallen over so went to the doctor about it. She thought it might be an inner ear infection. Never was diagnosed but still deal with it today but minorly and still hang on to something whenever I take a shower or sit on the pot. And have been sitting to piss for years now....mainly to satisfy the wife but now, it's mainly to not pee all over things! Sucks getting old. Just got some grab bars for the shower and to install next to the crapper.

Auto Transport Service
Back