• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old fart issues...

I fell while walking across the street a few months ago, fortunately at the curb, so I didn't get hurt. Not even scraped up! Kinda scared me, of course, since that was a first for me. Gravity is a bitch! Doc said "balance issues" and started a weekly PT routine, which had helped a bunch! Fast forward to Sunday. My son and I were out cutting branches and getting rid of some overgrowth along the fence line. Knocking it out like there was no tomorrow! After that, I went over to my tractor to disconnect the brush hog and put the tractor in the shop. It has a pretty heavy power steering pump leak I'd rather be indoors to fix. I was removing the mover deck from the three-point, using a 5-pound hammer to get that %^&#$-ing arm off the mower. Took a healthy swing at the arm. It came off hard, and I fell, narrowly missing a cinder block nearby. Didn't hit my head, but damn, my knee hurt like hell where the hammer hit it on the way down! As Monty Python would say "It's just a scratch!"...

Now to yesterday...I got off the couch, walked two steps, got a little light-headed and fell backwards onto the couch. Now I'm wondering if there might be something going on. Most of us here are between 50 and 75 years of age. Have any of you experienced balance problems that either were/are no big deal, or the extreme? I hate going to doctors...we all do, probably. I refuse to take any painkiller stronger than aspirin.

Not looking for an online diagnosis. That might be like going to the doc and asking "Hey Doc, my carb needs rebuilt, can you do that?" Or sympathy. Just looking to see if any of you have had similar balance issues. This just has me a bit spooked, but I'm reticent about going to the doc right now.

Half the dead guys I know would still be alive if they would have just gotten regular check ups and/or gone to the doctor when something fishy came up.

As far as standing up and being light headed.... my doc says (for me) it can just come with age and not be related to anything bad, and to wait a few seconds before taking steps.

As far as refusing to take stronger pain medicine. I used to think that too. You are just lucky to have not yet experienced a pain level that at this point you cannot even imagine exists. A little suffering is ok. More suffering is not - it can raise your BP and mess with your blood sugar amongst other things.

Nope, 63 (64 in July) No balance or falling issues "yet" :praying:

I get de-nutted/by my dob ( dog edited ), by his tail, it's a damn weapon
at the perfect height, it happens probably, at a min. once a month
it will take your breath away for sure or take you down to a knee,
if it's just the right wack/contact...

Last edited:
Nope, 63 (64 in July) No balance or falling issues "yet" :praying:

I get de-nutted/by my dob, by his tail, it's a damn weapon
at the perfect height, it happens probably, at a min. once a month
it will take your breath away for sure or take you down to a knee,
if it's just the right wack/contact...
:rofl:Oh man, I know what that's like!!!!

Half the dead guys I know would still be alive if they would have just gotten regular check ups and/or gone to the doctor when something fishy came up.

As far as standing up and being light headed.... my doc says (for me) it can just come with age and not be related to anything bad, and to wait a few seconds before taking steps.

As far as refusing to take stronger pain medicine. I used to think that too. You are just lucky to have not yet experienced a pain level that at this point you cannot even imagine exists. A little suffering is ok. More suffering is not - it can raise your BP and mess with your blood sugar amongst other things.
I think mobility aids fall in the same arena as meds. I don’t relish the thought of looking like a march of dimes poster, but I’m no longer willing to feel like crap in the name of looking “normal.”

I fell while walking across the street a few months ago, fortunately at the curb, so I didn't get hurt. Not even scraped up! Kinda scared me, of course, since that was a first for me. Gravity is a bitch! Doc said "balance issues" and started a weekly PT routine, which had helped a bunch! Fast forward to Sunday. My son and I were out cutting branches and getting rid of some overgrowth along the fence line. Knocking it out like there was no tomorrow! After that, I went over to my tractor to disconnect the brush hog and put the tractor in the shop. It has a pretty heavy power steering pump leak I'd rather be indoors to fix. I was removing the mover deck from the three-point, using a 5-pound hammer to get that %^&#$-ing arm off the mower. Took a healthy swing at the arm. It came off hard, and I fell, narrowly missing a cinder block nearby. Didn't hit my head, but damn, my knee hurt like hell where the hammer hit it on the way down! As Monty Python would say "It's just a scratch!"...

Now to yesterday...I got off the couch, walked two steps, got a little light-headed and fell backwards onto the couch. Now I'm wondering if there might be something going on. Most of us here are between 50 and 75 years of age. Have any of you experienced balance problems that either were/are no big deal, or the extreme? I hate going to doctors...we all do, probably. I refuse to take any painkiller stronger than aspirin.

Not looking for an online diagnosis. That might be like going to the doc and asking "Hey Doc, my carb needs rebuilt, can you do that?" Or sympathy. Just looking to see if any of you have had similar balance issues. This just has me a bit spooked, but I'm reticent about going to the doc right now.
Yeah, it happens. At 63 I'm no stranger to off balance ditching on occasion. My low BP is a blessing and a curse. If instability bothers you, you know who to see (no, not your local bar keep).

I'm still working my way to retirement.
Signed up, 1st ck is in june.
We are slammed at work and at 65 my gas tank starts running low at about 10 hrs lol.
After june I'm going to a 3 or 4 day week
This whole conversation gets me thinking about how old we really are getting, Scary ****.
Wife and I are headed to Florida the 28th , helping our grandson and family move to San Antonio, kind of a working vacation.

I'm still working my way to retirement.
Signed up, 1st ck is in june.
We are slammed at work and at 65 my gas tank starts running low at about 10 hrs lol.
After june I'm going to a 3 or 4 day week
This whole conversation gets me thinking about how old we really are getting, Scary ****.
Wife and I are headed to Florida the 28th , helping our grandson and family move to San Antonio, kind of a working vacation.
Sounds like you are in the same place I was at 65. Had the same 10 hr threshold. Problem in my work was it could easily turn to 14. Hung it up last year at 69, and glad that I did. It’s scarier before you take the plunge.

My "spells" are easily verifiable:
a. Low volume of blood (happens when you bleed internally all the time)
b. Dehydration (bordlerline kidney function demands tons of water, even when you're
sick of drinking it)
c. Low blood sugar (lots of diabetes in family; I'm the opposite)
and finally, the really weird one:
d. Low SALT level - part of cancer history is that what's left of my kidney function
filters all salt out of my body constantly. Add in a bunch of water drinking for
item b. above and I regularly test at or near zero for salt.
Makes me one of few older folks who gets a free pass to eat salt at my leisure. :)

Dehydration appeared to be the culprit. My BP is dead-on 120/72, heart rate of 85 and O2 level of 99. Blood sugar was great! Ears checked out fine, as well. My doc called yesterday to tell me all my tests came back normal. And I do admit, I wasn't drinking near the water I should be, but I didn't realize until recently I wasn't hydrating enough. Dumb, because I've spent more than enough time in the Saudi litter box (and others) to know better.

I'm just glad the news was good, and the solution was both logical and drug-free. I've felt great over the past week (since Sunday, anyway!), especially. Kinda scared the **** outta myself, really! Just like the Coronet and the Imperial, I can't just jump in and go full-out without checking a couple of things, first. Water...yup, kinda important!

Last edited:
The last two days I have over-indulged in green seedless grapes and Golden Kiwifruit.

We're talking bum-wees, and sharting in the shower here.

I'll leave it at that. :lol:
Farting in the shower is the worst. It magnifies the stench ten fold!

Just checked my BP.....126/72-58.....and forgot to take my BP med last night.

some getting hearing loss too
or tinnitus, is brutal, I hear (pun intended)

thank goodness I don't have either
that must suck

Smiley Old man - deff ear trumpet.jpg

Some getting old & going blind, I'm so sorry to see that, (pun intended)
or having trouble seeing/reading clearly

I have to use reading glasses now, 110's
since about 2019, whenever on the computer
or reading a book
unless I make my font big

what I feel like
Smiley Old needing glasses -Sienfeld how do I look.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back