• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old girl jus died on me

yardog1

Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Got Doba out for bourbon run,after a successful purchase was on way bac,turned corner an she jus shut down,lik i turned it off.Checked everything,but replaced electronic control pac ( had spot on it an packing was loose ) Ballast resistor is good.Im gettin spark though coil to plugs,gettin gas,everything looks to b doin its job but will not start.Its something simple that im missing or did i lose th ignition at th key ? Also cant remember if there is a fuse inline somewhere that ive forgot. Help!!

check bulkhead connections

i had to reterminate one that had wire snap but looked like it was still connected

Check your connections. Does it turnover when when keyed to start? Cranks and no start or just nothing?

You said your getting spark and gas and won't run? Maybe a bad coil, saw one would spark but car wouldn't run. New coil rumm rumm. Can think of other things, keep it simple first.

Pull the distributor cap and crank it to see if rotor turns then maybe tdc with #r1 plug out tof see if timing chain faile or jumped a tooth. With spark and fuel it should fire unless timing issue.

Got Doba out for bourbon run,after a successful purchase was on way bac,turned corner an she jus shut down,lik i turned it off.Checked everything,but replaced electronic control pac ( had spot on it an packing was loose ) Ballast resistor is good.Im gettin spark though coil to plugs,gettin gas,everything looks to b doin its job but will not start.Its something simple that im missing or did i lose th ignition at th key ? Also cant remember if there is a fuse inline somewhere that ive forgot. Help!!
Maybe the car is missing several letters like I noticed in the above post...
:eek:

Funny, went out an tried to start,it would start an die start die when i took hand off key ( ballast resistor ) changed that, cap,button workin fine.Now i got crank an spark but wont hit at all

I have had intermittent problems like this and most often, it related to the spark box/ECU/ECM. It has to be well grounded to function and sometimes for some unknown reason, the screws must just loosen a slight amount and it fails to deliver consistent spark.
I carry spare ECus, ballast resistors and sometimes a spare distributor on long trips.
Finally, the electronic distributors have a specific "air gap" that needs to be within a pretty narrow range for the engine to run. the actual spec is .008 and it has to be set with a non magnetic brass feeler gauge. Too wide of a gap? It will run but pop and sputter under a load. Too small? It will not run at all. The reluctor/star wheel can slip too. It should be where the 8 points on it correspond with the 8 terminals on the distributor cap. Sometimes the reluctor/star wheel slips out of position and it tries to fire a spark between the distributor cap terminals. I had this happen with my Charger. VERY frustrating as it was not a problem that happened all the time. It would just fail to get spark at random, then moments later start and run perfectly.

Something else i noticed,fuel is jus a stream not a spray.This bite cuz everything is lest than 6mnts old

Spelling h——, ur just saving typing motions!!!

I would use some starting fluid to see if it will fire or back fire. If it backfires suspect a timing issue. If it fires then fuel supply issue. More info needed, what ign. system are you using? What volts at coil when cranking.

I would use some starting fluid to see if it will fire or back fire. If it backfires suspect a timing issue. If it fires then fuel supply issue. More info needed, what ign. system are you using? What volts at coil when cranking.
It hav lean bur on it when i got but got electronic set up from Mancini racin to up grade,its set up like 74 electronic now,i hav a accel coil but thinkin it mite be weak

It hav lean bur on it when i got but got electronic set up from Mancini racin to up grade,its set up like 74 electronic now,i hav a accel coil but thinkin it mite be weak
Does it throw a long spark? That's why I was interested in volts at coil. Weak spark.

Auto Transport Service
Back