• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old MSD box specific for mopar?

Funny related story. I bought my son a 74, 260Z as a first car/project. It didn't run so I wired in my NOS Chrysler style MSD box including wiring in the Chrysler style plug into the old Datsun harness. The old Datsun started right up of course, ignition is ignition.

I just got one from eBay and will post photo's once it's in my hands...probably test it on my run stand which has an old short deck Dodge Hemi on it at the moment.

WHY....would you want, or feel you need, to install and old style MSD control box in lieu of something more contemporary? When I first purchased my '70 GTX, it had an MSD mounted under the battery tray to disguise it, triggered by a Mopar electronic distributor. I inquired to MSD, if these boxes were fixable. YES....send it back to us and we'll repair it and return it in a few weeks for a flat fee plus shipping. Since I didn't want to leave the car along side the road (or wherever the box failed) for a few weeks waiting on its return, so I removed MSD box and associated parts and went back to conventional ignition. I believe MSD has gone thru ond or two ownership changes, not sure if the old stuff is still fixable, should it fail. Plus present day semi-conductors (especially the power Darlington switching transistors) are far superior to the old stuff which, IMO, is the reason for not using the old stuff......but to each his own......
BOB RENTON

WHY....would you want, or feel you need, to install and old style MSD control box in lieu of something more contemporary? When I first purchased my '70 GTX, it had an MSD mounted under the battery tray to disguise it, triggered by a Mopar electronic distributor. I inquired to MSD, if these boxes were fixable. YES....send it back to us and we'll repair it and return it in a few weeks for a flat fee plus shipping. Since I didn't want to leave the car along side the road (or wherever the box failed) for a few weeks waiting on its return, so I removed MSD box and associated parts and went back to conventional ignition. I believe MSD has gone thru one or two ownership changes, not sure if the old stuff is still fixable, should it fail. Plus present day semi-conductors (especially the power Darlington switching transistors) are far superior to the old stuff which, IMO, is the reason for not using the old stuff.....but to each his own.....
BOB RENTON
I basically ask myself this question when I see people using GM's ignition, alternator, transmission and thermostat housing on their cars...oh and Ford's rear-end.....but to each their own right?

The fact that it as the Mopar's plug/connector is what interests me. I plan on buying more of them...some 6 C's also. Hopefully they(MSD) can rebuild them if they don't work...but it's a circuit board....take them to the right guy that can trouble shoot circuit boards and able to fix them or update them....would be a plus also.

Also I have an engine run stand that will only see Mopar engines and will be able to do test this stuff on it.

I just bought a couple of NOS Mopar aftermarket replacement box's (Silver Streak stuff out of Troy, MI) made in the U.S.A. stuff. Which I haven't heard of them either I guess. I've heard of Blue Streak stuff.

Last edited:
Photo's of the one I just got. I've noticed that these are different from the 6's...in that they don't have a separate power wire. So....if anybody has information on the wiring for it would be great.

I seen the one for the 6C, but it doesn't show the power and ground.....which is self explanatory I realize.... but....it makes you wonder if the top pin(pin1) from with stockish box's was just ignition 1 in the factory wiring....I'm wonder if I'm going to need to tie ignition 1 with 2 for this cause of no power wire.

I can't remember how I did the Valiant like 18 years or so go with Mopar Performance's MSD black 6AL box....other than it still works like a charm.

5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

Last edited:
Other than this one...which is a good....but it looks like it says 6C instead 5C

6c-web.jpg

An add from 79 MSD catalogue with 5C & 6C for those that are interested.

MSD 5C .jpg img199[593].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back