• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old odd tune up tools

Mike Szadaj

Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
I recently picked up these two old tuneup tools. One claims you can set the distributor points without a dwell meter or feeler gauges. It wouldn’t work on Mopar distributors, only the type that you can adjust the points while the engine is running. After reading the instructions, it doesn’t sound much better than adjusting the points by ear.
I haven’t figured the second one out. The bottom red part turns, and as it turns it moves up and down. As it moves up it first covers up the word polarity, then the word output, then the word plugs. As far as I can figure, that determines which ignition electrical item it is then set to check. There is what looks to be a neon bulb in the top of the blue cone. If anyone knows how it works, please let me know

CDC1A31D-F7DE-4AC3-A6A8-9A0793B50B6C.jpeg

D27EC6E0-8B96-4115-88A2-5AF3324F1E7F.jpeg

The bottom tool will show how much the coil can put out. Its just like a spark checking tool. As you adjust the gap wider the spark will eventually stop. Most newer ones have a graduation gauge in kilo volts.

Auto Transport Service
Back