• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Question spark plugs

Canadian1968CoronetR/T

Local time
6:23 PM
Reaction score
I want to replace my spark plugs in the spring, what is the best product to give me street performance, It still has the old point system in the car, it is a 440 hp, with a mild cam (six pack crank).
I don't know much about the msd system, I see a lot of people have installed, is is worth the cost, what changes would I see, if I were to change it all. Just looking for advice?

Using NGK's and MSD with good results. Heard that MSD is bankrupt.

Any name brand spark plug will do just fine. You aren't going to see an improvement in performance from one brand to another on the street. As far as the MSD box (multiple spark discharge), the advantages are faster starting, cleaner burning (due to multiple sparks over a wider range of crank rotation) and more dependable spark at high RPM. If a STOCK motor is tuned correctly and in good condition, the advantage of an MSD or similar box is debatable.
Heard the rumor about MSD. Haven't seen any reliable source to substantiate it...

MSD did file for Bankrupcy. switching out the Points to a Pertonnix or mallory conversion kit will just make the car more reliable. That alone is worth the change. stay with vacuum advance distributor and any modern plug like Coloradodave said will work fine. You do not need to change coil if it is good.

Not sure if you have done you ignition conversion yet, but I just made the switch from points to EI on my 67 Coronet with a 383. I went with the Mopar Peformance kit...made a world of difference it the way it runs. Cold starts a lot easier for sure and seems to idle a lot smoother as well. I do not have any experience with MSD or Pertronix, but Mopar Performance EI is doing the job just fine.

Not sure if you have done you ignition conversion yet, but I just made the switch from points to EI on my 67 Coronet with a 383. I went with the Mopar Peformance kit...made a world of difference it the way it runs. Cold starts a lot easier for sure and seems to idle a lot smoother as well. I do not have any experience with MSD or Pertronix, but Mopar Performance EI is doing the job just fine.
My car still has the old points have thought about the conversion, but I need to do some research to see if I can do this my self, where did you purchase your Mopar Performance kit?

The coil may need to be replaced with Pertronix. Depends on the kit. I have the Ignitor III and it suggested a new coil vs. stock. The other thing to consider is the need for ballast resister or not. the documentation is pretty good, wanted to share the cheat sheet version.

Auto Transport Service
Back