• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

On a quest

Thanks for the welcome guys.
As to what I said about wanting to pick up a 68-70 B body I think I should be more specific. Favorite vs non-favorite in this category would be 68 Coronet RT or Super Bee as top picks, and the 70 Coronets and Super Bees are in my opinion the ugly ducklings with a face only a mother could love. Pretty sure the designer was dropping acid with a bunch of hippies when he came up with that one. I also might be open to doing another Duster or a Demon, and at one point my desire was for a 1970 Fury GT, fabulous car for cross country trips. I'd still look at that, but the 68 Coronet RT is what really lights my fire these days.

I'm going to have to sit and think through all the little details of what I have in mind and post something under "Wanted" later. I also have a few questions floating around in my feeble old brain, but will skip that for the moment and post later in the appropriate section.

welcome to FBBO from Sunny NorCal Sierras

what kind of budget are we talking about here ?
that will narrow it down 99%

welcome to FBBO from Sunny NorCal Sierras

what kind of budget are we talking about here ?
that will narrow it down 99%
Total budget including the car purchase and modifications such as Indy max aluminum block, modern suspension, Wilwood brakes, etc. may run as high as $140,000 Canadian funds. Obviously the less I spend on purchase the more I can throw at modifying this thing into a true beast with all the modern tech. I may have to factor in the cost of building a garage, but have not sorted that part out yet. One classic car dealer suggested I could probably find a "really nice" B body for between $60,000 to $80,000 and although I'd like to spend less, what he said was not enough to scare me into dropping the idea.

Of course having been away from this hobby for some time I'm still evaluating the current market.

Total budget including the car purchase and modifications such as Indy max aluminum block, modern suspension, Wilwood brakes, etc. may run as high as $140,000 Canadian funds. Obviously the less I spend on purchase the more I can throw at modifying this thing into a true beast with all the modern tech. I may have to factor in the cost of building a garage, but have not sorted that part out yet. One classic car dealer suggested I could probably find a "really nice" B body for between $60,000 to $80,000 and although I'd like to spend less, what he said was not enough to scare me into dropping the idea.

Of course having been away from this hobby for some time I'm still evaluating the current market.
that should give you a wide range of stuff to choose from
good budget (even in Canadian funds)

I like the style of build you're proposing too...
I'm a day 2 guy & a old drag racer

IMHFO
getting something complete as possible
hopefully as rust free as possible too
(they are 50+ year old cars afterall)
as it will help to not have to sort all the lil' stuff
that will $100 bill you to death
& the time frame to have a car in Paint/Body Jail
for $10's of thousands of dollars in Rust repairs
kills the vibe too
spend a lil' more on the initial purchase
drive it while you change it, to your vibe/style,
get far more pleasure from it
a nice rust free or relatively nearly rust free, 50+ year old car,
Calif. or southwestern US car
not spending $$$s on ($50-$100+ an hr) labor in a shop,
not sitting waiting to be able to enjoy it,
or having to be buying body parts/Bondo & paint...

IMO you will be miles ahead of the game
& probably cheaper in the long run

:thumbsup: sounds like it will be a beast, I like it...

Make sure to check out the
resto-mod & pro-touring also the Racers Hangout
forum sections here too, should be right up your alley

good luck

Last edited:
For all the reasons Budnicks mentioned I want to start with a car that many of you would be happy with as is. Something that needs no time spent in the bodyshop is a must have as a starting point. Interior important too. I'm absolutely NOT looking for a project car to restore.

To put it more clearly where my head is at, many of the older guys here will remember what was happening in the 70s. When I became driving age these cars were not very old yet, and post oil embargo they could be picked up fairly cheap (that part has changed) plus we didn't really care all that much about originality. So you would go out and pick up one of these "used cars" and throw the whole speed shop catalog at it and build a street racer to suit your own personal taste. This is the experience I'm looking to recreate.

And I don't care how many purists it pisses off.
MY CAR MY RULES!

Last edited:
If you're not into discovering bad work on a "done" body I think this one shows promise. Buying out of the USA is a hassle right now.
I get the idea of looking for a 318 car that is shiny already though. It's just I don't trust anything I haven't seen right before it was painted.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/saskatoon/1969-sport-satellite/1587531959
Thanks for posting.
Might look at something like that if it was a big block 4 speed local car, but I'd like to avoid traveling all over the country looking at prospective purchases. I may consider using one of the classic car dealers if I can figure out who has a good reputation. Sure it'll add some to the cost but could save a lot of headaches in the long run. If I do go that route I'll probably hire an inspector to check things out prior to purchase.

I sent you a PM with a good contact. It's hard to know who to trust in the Mopar world.

I sent you a PM with a good contact. It's hard to know who to trust in the Mopar world.
Thanks. Good contacts are always good to have.
Speaking of that, it's time I give an old friend a call.
Founder of Mopars Unlimited club. Helped him convert his old slant 6 Duster to a 318 in my parents back yard many years ago.

Auto Transport Service
Back