• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Once and for all time......67 B Body wheel backspacing.

To add to my comment above, if I were ordering a new rear end I would be assuming the measurement in question would be outside axle face to outside axle face, not housing flange to flange. For the very simple reason that I have no idea how far the axle protrudes from the housing and all I care about is the face my wheel is going to bolt to.
The 54 1/4 measurement is the housing flange to flange, where the backing plate bolts to. Drum to drum would be where the wheel bolts on. That would be axle flange to axle flange, PLUS the thickness of the drums, if so equiped.
But i agree, if ordering a custom rear, i would specify the TOTAL width i wanted, whether drum or disc (gotta remember to add the thickness of the disc hat too!)

Can you attach a link? I'm not a member of a-bodies. Thanks,
I would, but i dont know how. You dont have to be a member, just to lurk. There are lots of lurkers.
The chart you posted is very close to what i see at a-bodies. Probably fine for our use.

So, to recap.....

I have 39" from outer edge of leaf to the outer edge of the other one. I have 59 1/2" from wheel mounting surface to the other one. I have 15 3/4" of wheel well to work inside and want to use a 10" rim for a M/T tire that's 29 tall and has a section width of 15"with 13 " of tread. As I understand it I need a 10" rim with 7 1/2" backspacing to center up that tire while leaving an extra 1/2 or so on the lip side to accommodate the roll in of the tub wall.
Does that sound right?

Last edited:
Ghost, i would go with the 7 1/2 backspace. I am almost positive it will work, as is, but IF (i dont think so) it is too close to the frame, spacers can make it perfect. (I have spacers on an eleven second car, and a nine, and a former eight second car)
There is a limit,in a lot of cases, as to how much backspace, or offset, deep backspace or shallow, that can be done. You will need to consult your custom wheel maker if they can give you the bs you want. It depends on the shape of the hoop, where they can weld in the center.
My bottom line... yes, 7 1/2 bs., if you can get it.

Ghost, i would go with the 7 1/2 backspace. I am almost positive it will work, as is, but IF (i dont think so) it is too close to the frame, spacers can make it perfect. (I have spacers on an eleven second car, and a nine, and a former eight second car)
There is a limit,in a lot of cases, as to how much backspace, or offset, deep backspace or shallow, that can be done. You will need to consult your custom wheel maker if they can give you the bs you want. It depends on the shape of the hoop, where they can weld in the center.
My bottom line... yes, 7 1/2 bs., if you can get it.
Summit has a couple hundred choices with 15x10 w/7.50 BS...& 5/4.50 pattern. This is the tire,,,...

mtt-6620_xl.jpg

Also checking for 17,18" rims....
You just might be able to find the larger diameter wheel in the bs you want, without having to go to custom. The larger wbeels from late model typically have lots of backspace for their wide wheels.
I would look at something (not necessarily oem) intended for a late model mustang, same bolt pattern as a mopar.

Still think this is the **** ! Can check clearance through full suspension travel or steering arc, if for front. I was going to go in on a similar one with a couple buddies, to keep our costs down. I've collected singles of various size big tires over the years, in anticipation of using this style tool. Takes ALL the guesswork out.
images (3).jpeg

I have M/T 28 x 12.5 15LTs on Weld Pro Stars. These have a 13" cross section. The ProStars are 10" wide (11" outside) The BS is 5-1/2" outside. They came off a '69 Charger which had 1/2" spacers to bring them out a bit - probably just for looks. On my 69 RR they cleared everything comfortably. However, its a different story if you just crunch numbers.

One way to do it would be to draw up a scale cross section of the wheel/tire combo and cut it out of a piece of plywood. Set it against the hub and run it around to see what the clearance will be.

I have a 66 Coronet with a BBD 4-link rear suspension system which uses the factory leaf and spring perches for lower control arm location. Its ALL about the backspacing on Mopars. I tried some American Racing Torq-thrusts, 17 x 8 with 4.81, but had too much gap so I ordered a wider width, 17 x 9.5 with 5.56 backspacing. The rims fit really well with 255x55x17 tires with 10.4 tread width. So i used the 17 x 8 with 4.81 on the front.

1419.jpg 1418.jpg

ok here is the answer that should help you out- my 66 satellite with 83/4 rear axle i relocated the leafs inboard with the mopar relocation kit. I had a guy widen my stock wheelwells so they go right to the frame. Now the rims i bought are centerline auto drag, 15 by 10 and a half inch 7 amd one quarter rear spacing. On these rims i have n 50 15 bias ply mickey thompsons. after all this measuring and moving stuff and figuring, i still needed to narrow my rear axle housing one inch overall and now those tires fit great and do not rub at all.

From what I'm seein g with your measurements, A 10 inch wheel would have to have a 7 inch back spacing to get close to being centered! If you did that, the wheel would be very hard to get over the brake hub to install! Just my 2 cents. ruffcut
it does and it is! I have to put jackstands inder the rear frame and let the rear end hang low as possible to get them off and i even have to deflate the tires some to make it happen

Auto Transport Service
Back