• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One more heating question.

747mopar

Local time
9:46 PM
Reaction score
So I've already purchased an outdoor boiler that should get delivered next week but now how to heat the garage with it. Simple answer is just buy a hydronic unit heater but after thinking about it why not a furnace? I've got my eye on a used 100,000 BTU Bryant propane furnace for $250. I'm thinking about this route for 3 reasons
#1 I'll have an alternative heat source for those unexpected cold days where the boiler isn't running.
#2 When I eventually add A/C I won't have to knock a hole in the wall but instead add an A coil in the duct.
#3 I will heat the upstairs at times so going this route will save buying another setup only requiring ductwork.

So what do you do about a furnace filter in a garage? Can I squeeze it in the bathroom, maybe on the mezzanine?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If you have the boiler why not use it.... I'm aleays leary about having a flame in an enclosed space... like a garage... not saying I don't weld, or use the salamander heater in ours, but if I had and alternative I would go with it.
As far as ac goes tou can buy just an airhandler and set a coil on it....As a matter of fact one of my old buildings ran a 2 pipe system for heating and cooling. Depending on the season the water was either heated or cooled and ran through a radiator basically whichcontrolled the temp. In the summer time the water was diverted a condenser of sorts ( warm water coming from the bld was ran through coils with a fan drawing across it to lower the overall temp) and sent back to the bld cooler than before.

If you have the boiler why not use it.... I'm aleays leary about having a flame in an enclosed space... like a garage... not saying I don't weld, or use the salamander heater in ours, but if I had and alternative I would go with it.
As far as ac goes tou can buy just an airhandler and set a coil on it....As a matter of fact one of my old buildings ran a 2 pipe system for heating and cooling. Depending on the season the water was either heated or cooled and ran through a radiator basically whichcontrolled the temp. In the summer time the water was diverted a condenser of sorts ( warm water coming from the bld was ran through coils with a fan drawing across it to lower the overall temp) and sent back to the bld cooler than before.
The newer furnaced dont have a pilot light burning all the time and the burner uses outside air drawn in and vented to the outdoors.

To the OP- check the condition of the plenum to make sure its not cracked. I think you have a good plan with the backup heat source and the option to add AC later.

I think you totally misunderstood the intent, the furnace would only be an air handler blowing air threw a radiator (boiler heat) mounted in the duct but would add flexibility for heat. I intent to heat the whole house and garage from Fall to Spring with the boiler but it would be nice to have the ability to heat during the time the boiler isn't in use (summer). We'd be talking about very, very little use on the Propane side if any.

I'm looking at it like this, I can buy this Furnace for cheap and kill 3 birds with one stone or I could put a hydronic unit heater in and have just boiler heat blowing from one spot.

I don't get concerned about open flames in a garage, been heating garages with woodburners for over 20 years. My garage is set up in a way where this space will be pretty fume free with the addition dedicated to all the painting which will have radiant heat.

The newer furnaced dont have a pilot light burning all the time and the burner uses outside air drawn in and vented to the outdoors.

To the OP- check the condition of the plenum to make sure its not cracked. I think you have a good plan with the backup heat source and the option to add AC later.
Ahh yes, forgot to add it's a sealed combustion, high effeciency unit.

I think you totally misunderstood the intent, the furnace would only be an air handler blowing air threw a radiator (boiler heat) mounted in the

I did misunderstand....sounds like a good plan! I've been trying to locate a good used Bard unit to install in ours. It gets cold but the biggest problem is the dampness when it does...AC in the summer would be great to boot!

Ya I know there aren't any standing pilots made anymore, they are either electronic or hot surface... you still have to have combustion air though. Only the exhaust is sealed and forced air.

There seams to be a decent selection on Craigslist, I suspect it's HVAC companies making a little extra off of pulled units?

You considering running glycol in the boiler loop in case of a power outage stops the pump?

You considering running glycol in the boiler loop in case of a power outage stops the pump?
It's an open loop boiler, technically it's not even a boiler since it heats the water to 180 degrees. All the proper chemicals come with it so we'll see what they are?

Auto Transport Service
Back