• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ooohoooo that smell can’t ya smell that smell

Glenn's hc

Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
So folks I am trying to find out how I can lessen or stop the gas fumes smell on my 67 coronet RT 440 engine and manual trans. I’m running a Holley carburetor. Doesn’t have much of a smell of gas under the hood I have checked all the fuel lines they are all intact and not dry rotted as most of them were changed a few years ago the only place I can pinpoint a fume is where the filler neck goes into the tank that grommet it seems to be in good shape and pliable however there is a little smell there so wondering if I drive the car around and fumes build from the tank, the filler neck goes into the tank, that grommet it seems to be in good shape and pliable however there is a little smell there so wondering if I drive the car around and fumes build from the tank it’s coming that mostly from there and vortexing around into the car while I drive or at a light really is where I smell it most. The rubber hose that attaches to that steel neck that goes into the tank has some dry rotting and I do have another one for it but I’m wondering is there anyway to seal up that O-ring/grommet that the steel filler neck goes into on the tank. Wondering if some black silicone beating around the outer and inner orifice would do it. any clever ideas?

Sound like your tank flange is bent or dented. I fixed one like that last summer and no more smell.

Do you mean the normal venting from the gas tank vents? Anything pre 70-71ish has tank vents to open air. I only noticed on mine when I moved it into garage attached to the house.
I plug my tank vents into a carbon canister for long parks in the garage.

The flange where the fuel pump pickup assembly locks into the tank is not leaking at all? It'll leak gas especially when the tank is pretty close to full if it's not perfect.

I had a gas smell problem on my Barracuda. When I removed the tank, it had a long crack in it on the topside, under the felt pad.

So folks I am trying to find out how I can lessen or stop the gas fumes smell on my 67 coronet RT 440 engine and manual trans. I’m running a Holley carburetor. Doesn’t have much of a smell of gas under the hood I have checked all the fuel lines they are all intact and not dry rotted as most of them were changed a few years ago the only place I can pinpoint a fume is where the filler neck goes into the tank that grommet it seems to be in good shape and pliable however there is a little smell there so wondering if I drive the car around and fumes build from the tank, the filler neck goes into the tank, that grommet it seems to be in good shape and pliable however there is a little smell there so wondering if I drive the car around and fumes build from the tank it’s coming that mostly from there and vortexing around into the car while I drive or at a light really is where I smell it most. The rubber hose that attaches to that steel neck that goes into the tank has some dry rotting and I do have another one for it but I’m wondering is there anyway to seal up that O-ring/grommet that the steel filler neck goes into on the tank. Wondering if some black silicone beating around the outer and inner orifice would do it. any clever ideas?
Glenn, I have been chasing the same problem for 15 yrs.
Over that time span I have had several different carbs and air cleaners.
Even one engine swap.
New mechanical pump.
New tank and seals, New vented cap,
Ran it down the road with kick panel vents open and closed.

New trunk seal, full dual exhaust to the bumper.
What I have found is my 67 will draw fumes into the interior when it has a partial tank of fuel and ethier the windows or vents are open.
I suspect the cap vent or cap seal is letting off pressure and its drawn into the cabin , good luck if you figure it out let me know, lol

Same deal here - same car and same motor. Have checked everything as well - the cap seal is probably a good bet - it does click but doesn't seem like a solid seal. I used to enjoy the smell at times - but not so much when 93 is almost $5 a gallon and 110 is $10.50!

Dam! You guys too? Have a 68 4 door satellite- this happens almost exclusively after medium/strong acceleration...foot off gas or lightly on.....just wait 2 or three seconds and the raw fuel smell fills the cabin. Like above, no smells under hood. So maybe it's fuel sloshing? a poor seal somewhere? ugh. gotta find it or family will continue to avoid sunday drives :(

When I got mine from the PO, I tracked the very strong gas smell down to the tank vent tubes but also the filler neck gasket/grommet. I replaced the filler neck grommet but it still smelled a bit. So I put the Airplane make a gasket around the neck and gasket -- gone. Between that and a carbon canister on the floor plugged into the two tank vents, garage no longer stinks. I disconnect the tank vent tube hoses at tank and new hoses to a y connector and that to a carbon canister tank vent input for long storage. I hook it back up when I plan on driving it. I've been doing this for about six years on different cars. Someday I might retrofit a car to have a carbon canister but I can't bring myself to do it and its a 5 minute fix to put back to stock.

I had a gas smell problem on my Barracuda. When I removed the tank, it had a long crack in it on the topside, under the felt pad.
Most times that is what it is if you’ve replaced all your lines.

Auto Transport Service
Back