• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinion and assessment of newly chromed parts

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:16 AM
Reaction score
Hi FBBO,

Since I can chrome myself and do it for my own parts, I would like to know what you think about it.

As an example, I have here the trim ring for the gas cap.

What would be worth to you the original part?

How much work do you think that was?

Would you also have your original parts re-chromed or would you rather buy new?

7634C3EE-9E2A-4098-A552-B39A36E4FC53.jpeg

This is the original part from my 68 Charger.

I appreciate every answer.

Thank you!
Greetings from Germany
Yannik

Are you actually PChrome spray the part? Or are you actual copper, nickel, chroming and then buffing?

Looks great.

Last edited:
Looks great to me. I don’t think you could get that finish with just a paint.

Looks top notch to me.

Chroming is only as good as the prep stages. If the part can't be properly and adequately stripped and then properly prepped then the end result will look like ****. If it's "spray chrome" then the only issue I would have would be durability on things like bumpers or parts that get a lot of contact - like door handles and such. This particular part looks great.

An original part brought back to OEM spec ,or better, will be preferred over any repop to most any restorer. I only purchase repops as that is only whats available or affordable for our 50 year plus addictions.....

Hi FBBO,

Since I can chrome myself and do it for my own parts, I would like to know what you think about it.

As an example, I have here the trim ring for the gas cap.

What would be worth to you the original part?

How much work do you think that was?

Would you also have your original parts re-chromed or would you rather buy new?

View attachment 1426914

This is the original part from my 68 Charger.

I appreciate every answer.

Thank you!
Greetings from Germany
Yannik

How much do you want for it? :thumbsup:

Chroming is only as good as the prep stages. If the part can't be properly and adequately stripped and then properly prepped then the end result will look like ****. If it's "spray chrome" then the only issue I would have would be durability on things like bumpers or parts that get a lot of contact - like door handles and such. This particular part looks great.
Of course the most you have to do is the prework. On those old parts you can no just strip the chome and rechrome it. You need to strip all the copper, nickel, chrome and start from the beginning.

I can upload and show you some pictures how I do it.

Not for sale. LOL!

But as I asked above, what would you offer? What is this thing worth for you to buy a rechromed original part rather than a $50 repop?

In today’s economy, it would be probably cost a couple hundred bucks to rechromed a good one.

In today’s economy, it would be probably cost a couple hundred bucks to rechromed a good one.
In my opinion (I do not want to offend you!!!) most people do not know how much work it is to rechrome something like this. And as you can see on he picture, the rips are not perfect. Do people complain about it?

Do people complain about it?
Yes, they do.

Personally, ANYTHING I have done my expectation is "perfect". In many cases I just can't afford "perfect" but the quote for "perfect" from a high quality workplace gives me and idea of what level of finish I should expect for a cheaper quote.

As far as expectations go, there are far too many restorers or hobbyists that want "perfect" bumpers. To take a raw stamping and give it a perfect mirror finish would take a substantial amount of labour to grind, sand, dip, polish and double dip again. This was NOT how original bumpers were done. They came off the stamping line by the thousands, got a minimal buff by someone who didn't give a damn then went on an automatic dipping line. When they were done they'd shine in the sun but they sure as hell weren't a mirror finish.

Yes, they do.

Personally, ANYTHING I have done my expectation is "perfect". In many cases I just can't afford "perfect" but the quote for "perfect" from a high quality workplace gives me and idea of what level of finish I should expect for a cheaper quote.

As far as expectations go, there are far too many restorers or hobbyists that want "perfect" bumpers. To take a raw stamping and give it a perfect mirror finish would take a substantial amount of labour to grind, sand, dip, polish and double dip again. This was NOT how original bumpers were done. They came off the stamping line by the thousands, got a minimal buff by someone who didn't give a damn then went on an automatic dipping line. When they were done they'd shine in the sun but they sure as hell weren't a mirror finish.
Agree! Thank you! That is exactly what I thought.

Had my taillight bezels dechromed and it took a while to get them back. But it is well worth the money. Original fit better than repoped ones. Nice looking work.

An original part brought back to OEM spec ,or better, will be preferred over any repop to most any restorer. I only purchase repops as that is only whats available or affordable for our 50 year plus addictions.....

Quoted for truth

Auto Transport Service
Back