• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opinions on a '66 Hemi Build

Stock internals or a stroker kit

• Stock

• Stroker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Al T

Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
I've dropped the engine off at the rebuilders and I have a decision to make. The crank has already been ground .040 so will need to be replaced. Because of this, I've got the option of stock crank and rods (which I have but will need work) or a stroker crank and new rods. The cost is fairly similar. Am I hurting the value of the car with a stroker kit in the engine?

My vote was for stock. It's just my opinion. No real reasoning other than they are easier for me to maintain and I have never found it to be close to the same price to modify. I recommend staying with the 66 solid lifters as I have found it to be a major performance difference.

Stock street has more than enough ummph for me.

Im not familiar with strokers but thought special pistons were required to build a stroker.
As well as the crank and rods . ?????

Stock street has more than enough ummph for me.

Im not familiar with strokers but thought special pistons were required to build a stroker.
As well as the crank and rods . ?????
Yes.
He will need all that anyway, so you just get the stroker kit and call it a day. Might even save money in the end.

Yes.
He will need all that anyway, so you just get the stroker kit and call it a day. Might even save money in the end.
Ok.

Thought so.
I will be in similar shoes maybe next next year with mine.

Ive had several tell me stroke it .

But unless mine needs a crank... (extremely not likely . The engine has a Kellogg crank in it . Thats been in there since the early 70s when it spent time as a street / strip car

When its time.....Mine will go back box stock. And will remain solid lifters / cam.
I know its. 11.5-1 @ .020 now. And will probably take it to .030 and stock compression pistons.

I simply dont run the car hard enough or race it to warrent anything else.

If you keep the stock cam more cubes will shift the power curve to the left.

(You will need more cam to keep the same usable rpm range).

So, just comes down to your preference.

Stroke it, you'll never look back. I built a 472 (4.15 stroke, standard bore pistons) for this one and it worked beautifully I've had 426 Hemis since 1980 so I've got lots of actual driving miles on them.
My setup was stock convertor, 3.23 gears and the mildest solid comp cams ft they made back then (270S I believe). Stock exhaust, stock intake and carbs. What a joy to drive and crazy torque when I got on it.
The stroker takes down the RPM range just a bit and that makes it a nicer street engine, usually you wait until 3500 until they start marching but with that bit of stroke it starts earlier enhancing street running and leave it in high gear passing as well. The 426 Street Hemi was a compromise on the street, stroking it does away with that compromise. More lowend torque and better use of the too-large heads at streetable RPMs.
There just isn't a downside, none.

claytonsvaliant 046.jpg

I surprisingly have to agree with Runcharger. Surprising only because I find the big 3, 7 liter engines to usually have plenty of ooomph - stock. But for my ERA Cobra I had a professional engine shop build up a 428 for it and I hit the same question on needing a crank. I eventually let him talk me into a 4.25” stroker SCAT crank with reworked BB Chevy rods and 459 cubic inches. That engines has ended up being the strongest, smoothest, free-reving engines I’ve ever owned. All the things I feared about a long throw crank - sluggish, slow reving, low reving, vibration - all actually turned out the opposite and became positive attributes of the engine. It’s like a big electric motor off-idle, smooth as silk. If you have to invest money in a new crank, why not get some more cubic inches and HP in the bargain.

I voted stroker. I am struggling with this right now, actually. My 66 hemi is in pieces, I was told the crank is a stroker but I highly doubt it. Need to check it but it does have stock sized rod journals, so I believe he was mistaken.
Question, Do you have to get a stroker crank with 8 crank bolts or is 6 ok?

I voted stroker. I am struggling with this right now, actually. My 66 hemi is in pieces, I was told the crank is a stroker but I highly doubt it. Need to check it but it does have stock sized rod journals, so I believe he was mistaken.
Question, Do you have to get a stroker crank with 8 crank bolts or is 6 ok?
What is your flywheel or flex plate?

If the one you have is good, the cost would be less all the way around. If you're going to replace it, then the Hemi was 8 bolt and I personally would keep it that way. It's your car and your decision. I'm just saying what I would do. I'm not qualified to say if one is better than the other.

Something I just thought of.

Wouldn't the stroker be held back a degree if using stock exhaust manifolds ??

I've dropped the engine off at the rebuilders and I have a decision to make. The crank has already been ground .040 so will need to be replaced. Because of this, I've got the option of stock crank and rods (which I have but will need work) or a stroker crank and new rods. The cost is fairly similar. Am I hurting the value of the car with a stroker kit in the engine?

To stroke or not to stroke, that is the question ;-)

I voted for "NOT", but can understand/support all the arguments the others pointed out, too.

Reason for my "no stroking" is in your car: your car looks like an super-original, unmolested car, with no day2,3 or 4 mods...and I would keep it as such.

Even though, the 66`s did not have the VIN stamped in the block, so one could never guarantee, that your engine is the cars original engine.

In my opinion, a stock-restauration of the engine, will enhance the worth of your particular car.

Another option to consider is build a stroker from a separate engine or buy a new crate engine...there are nice ones offered for quite attractive money. So you could keep your 66 engine (or at least block) stored aside safely and when once time comes to sell the car, you could still provide the correct 66-block with the car.

Something I just thought of.

Wouldn't the stroker be held back a degree if using stock exhaust manifolds ??
Not really. Those manifolds really work well, imho. I'd say if anything more bottom end grunt.

Even though, the 66`s did not have the VIN stamped in the block, so one could never guarantee, that your engine is the cars original engine.

In my opinion, a stock-restauration of the engine, will enhance the worth of your particular car.

Another option to consider is build a stroker from a separate engine or buy a new crate engine...there are nice ones offered for quite attractive money. So you could keep your 66 engine (or at least block) stored aside safely and when once time comes to sell the car, you could still provide the correct 66-block with the car.
The original engine from the car is long gone (although I may have a lead on it). The original owner worked for Chrysler at the proving grounds as a test driver (initially). He bought the car for the engine. Drove it home, pulled the Hemi and installed a 318 and proceeded to install the Hemi in a 33 Plymouth coupe. The car on the left has the Hemi.
I'm leaning towards going the Stroker route.
IMG_1241.jpg

The original engine from the car is long gone (although I may have a lead on it). The original owner worked for Chrysler at the proving grounds as a test driver (initially). He bought the car for the engine. Drove it home, pulled the Hemi and installed a 318 and proceeded to install the Hemi in a 33 Plymouth coupe. The car on the left has the Hemi.
I'm leaning towards going the Stroker route.
View attachment 1357080

Ahh, if it is already clear, that your 66 engine is NOT original to the car...then I change my mind: go ahead and stroke.

If system allows me, I will also update my voting.

But as you also asked, if that upgraded motor would increase your car`s value: no, it wouldn`t increase value, but neither would decrease it...my 2ct.

BTW: great hot-rod-pic!

I've had many street hemi cars over the years. Most were stockers etc.. but the stroker motor I build for my 68 Charger was BY FAR the best, most enjoyable hemi driving experience ever. If I ever build another hemi motor for a car, no way am I using 50+ year old parts. Nobody will ever see the rods and crank. Build it big and you'll never look back. My two cents and probably worth both pennies!

Auto Transport Service
Back