• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ordering carpets - question ACC 80/20 Loop verses ACC Essex

SatelliteOfLove

Local time
8:00 PM
Reaction score
Ordering carpets - question ACC 80/20 Loop with mass backing verses Essex with mass backing.

This is referring to the 80/20 loop carpets -
  • The only carpet in the industry tufted from 80% rayon and 20% nylon.
  • Tufted to a 5/32 gauge loop and contains 24 ounces of yarn per square yard.
ACC Essex -
  • 100% Nylon
  • Ultra plush upgrade to standard cutpile
  • Creates a high end look to the interior of any vehicle
Original factory carpet replacement.

Which would be closer to factory quality?

Recommendations or additional info, thank you.

The 80/20 is factory correct for most cars. The Essex was used in some 1974 and up cars I think. Quality wise the Essex seems better to me. Mass backing is better in my opinion. I have had the best luck ordering the carpet thru rockauto, it always shows up fresh and without long-term fold lines. Just be sure to get it out of the box and laying flat fast. I use pea gravel, or sand in 10-20# garbage bags to get flat everywhere in the car. Cut all holes with an x, like around the console, and put the seat holes in it with a pencil soldering iron from the bottom with gravel holding it down.

Thank you 4406bbl.
Rock-auto is where I'm ordering from. The difference is only $100 Canadian between the 80/20 and Essex and so much easier for us up here, through Rockauto With shipping.

With the console was a bit concerned with the extra thickness of the Essex on install.
Is there an issue with fitment between the two, and would the Essex look out of place in a stock Satellite?

If it is a restoration then you want 80/20. The look is a personal thing, I like the Essex, at least what they sent me, would I put it in a superbird, no a 6.4 hemi swapped cuda, yes I did. It is a little harder to work with, and was oversize in both length and width, that's a good thing, at least the set they sent me. I have a commercial oven the carpet will fit in so I heated it to 150 and put it in the car with pea gravel. In the winter you may need to heat the back with a heat gun to get it to fit the trans tunnel. Do not heat the carpet side. Heat back of the tunnel area and gravel bag it down.

As far as fit I think the Essex fit better in an e-body. I also had dynamat everywhere and it fit fine, could have actually put more padding on the passenger side tunnel/console area, so for me thickness was not an issue. It was a little thick at the kick panel/sill plate area, but slight trimming of the fibers fixed that. So you know the 80/20 fibers are looped and the Essex is straight up and down.

That's good info regarding the loop on the 80/20.
Think I'll stick with the 80/20 loop, as that's the factory style.

Bought aftermarket carpeting in the past, was very disappointing regarding its look of "thickness", was so "thin" didn't want to install it.

But I read here somewhere regarding ACC being better quality and factory fullness " thickness" for lack of proper terminology.
I guess this is what I'm hoping for being equal to the factory carpeting. -

The 80/20 loop
  • Tufted to a 5/32 gauge loop and contains 24 ounces of yarn per square yard.

ACC is your only choice, and it is kinda thin.

Order mass backer too. I’ve had both and think the mass backed carpet holds the stamping better and is easier to install. Regular is a bit thin

Order mass backer too. I’ve had both and think the mass backed carpet holds the stamping better and is easier to install. Regular is a bit thin
When you say thin do you mean fullness in the loop.
Or thinness in the carpet only without the mass backing?

I was talking about the fullness or mass of the loop giving it the same look or coverage of the factory.

I mean ACC is the only one making this carpet. The 80/20 will look factory, it is thinner the backing is not the thick jute like factory, the backing is not as big in area. The mass backing will help. You can add some other padding if you like, and I would dynamat or thermo tec mat most of the trans tunnel and footwell areas.

I ordered 80/20 with the mass back, it was a lot nicer than the thin jute backed carpeting it replaced (also ACC). Well worth the extra cost IMHO.
IMG_7982.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back