• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Hemi installation time frame

skyman51

Local time
10:24 AM
Reaction score
What would have been considered a normal time frame for installing a Strret Hemi in a 66 or 67 car. I mean from date of engine assembly to being installed in a car. Could Hemi's get assembled and than sit for a period of time before being installed in a car?

Yes, the only time you will have an issuie is if your using a flat tappet cam the assembly lube will oxidize. Otherewise regualr spray lube in cylinders, and turn over rotating assembly every month plus keeping it dry is what is required andyou should be good.

If you are referring to a block having a cast date older than one would normally think would match a cars production date I believe the answer is yes. I don't remember all the specifics but I think it happened in later models more. Ma Mopar expected more orders than they actually got for them so they got too far ahead on production of them.

I am sure someone with greater insight can provide more details.

I remember reading somewhere that block casting dates are generally within a month prior to the car production date. I would imagine with a Hemi, it could be more due to low overall production and demand. (more blocks sitting around waiting for cars?)

Oops I meant to say the date on the ID pad were generally a month prior to production date.

I remember reading somewhere that block casting dates are generally within a month prior to the car production date. I would imagine with a Hemi, it could be more due to low overall production and demand. (more blocks sitting around waiting for cars?)

Oops I meant to say the date on the ID pad were generally a month prior to production date.

That is what I am interested in. The assembly date on the engine pad and the production date of the car.

Section#10
426 Hemi Engine cont...
 Note: Based on our research 1967 Hemi cars should have either left over 1965 cast or 1966 cast block. However, this is not an absolute however we have not seen a documented 1967 Hemi with an engine casting other then 1966. There were no 1967 HEMI blocks were cast. The latest 1966 block that we have run across is 10-31-66.
The first casting that we seen in 1968 was 4-15-1968. We understand that in 1969 that blocks were only casted only on a few days in the whole year of 1969. The dates were 5–9-69, 5-18-69, 5-19-69, 5-26-69, 7-28-69, 8-18- 69 and 10-23-69. There were blocks cast in 1970.

This is simply the date the block was cast. It does not reflect final assembly date. Normal 30 dates....But not absolute...Checking components, intake, heads, etc, for their dates to block casting...

http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/ICCA_Manual/ICCA site Engine Mechanical 7 7 10.pdf

Dating parts on your car can become a big project. Pops confirmed what I have heard about Hemis for 67, that all were cast prior to 67. Assembly date is another thing. Assembly dates, I've been told can be as early as 3 months before. I have never documented anything, but I'm always curious about when original engines were assembled. So far I have never found a 67 RT or GTX with it's original engine assembled more than about 7 days before the scheduled production date. This is for 440s, not Hemis, and Hemis are in their own class. Most of my own cars do not have their original engines anymore, but the few that do are all only 3 days before. In no way am I trying to insinuate that anything more than 7 days is wrong, it's just my own observations. And I tend to look closely to almost all 67s. Not in a critical way, it's just my own screwy mind.

Auto Transport Service
Back