• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original Owner 68 Road Runner

turbine68rt

Turbine Bronze Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:04 AM
Reaction score
My one friend asked me to help with going over a list of things that a customer wants done before car show season. He's the original owner, never modified. Not that frequent anymore that you hear of people holding on to cars they bought in the 60's.
20230226_111359.jpg
20230226_111432.jpg
20230226_111512.jpg
20230226_111449.jpg
20230226_111532.jpg

Avocado Green - classic! One thing doesn't check out tho - Y4 says green vinyl top from factory; ...Removed, trim holes patched, and repainted? Something else?

Avocado Green - classic! One thing doesn't check out tho - Y4 says green vinyl top from factory; ...Removed, trim holes patched, and repainted? Something else?
Once I got home I decoded the tag and caught that too. I can only guess until I talk to the owner that it may have needed replacing and he decided to just leave it off after the repaint.

Once I got home I decoded the tag and caught that too. I can only guess until I talk to the owner that it may have needed replacing and he decided to just leave it off after the repaint.
I did the same in 1985, when I couldn't get a replacement top with the correct grain. New owner is putting it back all these years later.

Wow! that is a great looking RR. Congratulations to the OO for hanging on to it and maintaining it all these years. I bought a new 1969 Sunfire Yellow SuperBee, but was not sharp enough to hang onto it. Many regrets.
A buddy of mine bought the first RR sold out of London, Ontario in the fall of 1967. Being such an early car, it was pretty bare bones with cheap looking interior and black rubber floor mats. I remember seeing my first Decor Group RR. My friend's car looked like a taxi by comparison.The Decor cars had more brightwork and a nicer interior, since the fancier RR was now based off the Satellite, instead of the base Belvedere. Then the RR hardtop was introduced with all the Decor Group stuff on it. I always liked the Decor coupe better, because it stayed with original vision of the RoadRunner as a coupe.
When I bought my SuperBee, I got the coupe. The SuperBee's all got the equivalent of the Decor Group, because they were all built off the upscale Coronet 440, instead of the base Coronet. This gave them a richer looking interior, with the Charger Rallye dash.

this car looked very similar to one that was in the showroom along with a blue/black vinyl charger R/T when I purchased my superbee in april of 68...Walla Walla, WA. ( I think that it stickered at $3,100). My bee is still original throughout. but I wished for the charger R/T... but did not have enough dough ($ 4600). The sticker on the bee(which I still have) was $3,632. They also had a hemi RR (white & red) $3300... but my girlfriend at the time could not steer it...hate to think what that is worth today.

Great car. Column auto and green paint seems to help preserve these cars from destruction for some reason.

Great car. Column auto and green paint seems to help preserve these cars from destruction for some reason.
Bought new by older, more careful folks. Case with the green Hemi GTX I used to own. Not the case with my former brother in law, but his green, column auto Hemi RR survived anyhow, with original engine.

I used to be surprised back in the 80’s when a late 60’s Mopar in the boneyards wasn’t some shade of green. :D

Auto Transport Service
Back