• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Outer Door Window Weather Stripping Installation Question

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:32 PM
Reaction score
I bought a complete outer window strip set a while back for my 73 Satty RR clone. As I know each application can differ, it appears the stripping on the doors is held in place, at least partially, by screws. Does anyone know if you can get at all the screws or fasteners without having to remove or dismount the window or window channel? Maybe a special tool?? In other words, how does it come out? I just want a heads up before I start the job so I have everything I need. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

You have to move the glass out of the way. It's not difficult.

Thanks, would removing the inner door panel be enough to allow installation as the glass would move further away from the outside?

Yes, will need to remove the door panels, then remove the lower window rubber stop block. This allows the window to roll down another inch or so, can then access all screw heads.

Yes, remove door panel, and you can try what 72RoadrunnerGTX suggests or just remove the two screws holding in the glass and drop it down with the rubber stop out of the way.

Thank you both. I had to detach the window glass on the bottom on my old 88 Lebaron convertible to change trim strip. Earlier cars and trucks didn't use screws, they had little metal fingers that inserted into small holes as you probably know. It wasn't as secure but only took minutes without taking the panel off. While I am in the door, I want to install the factory sport mirrors as the ones on my car are cheap plastic knockoffs. The drivers side has the remote positioning cable and as my car was stripped for racing I don't know what to expect. Are there little guides for the cable? I assume there are and I expect them not to be there so next question is what do they look like, where can I buy them and is there a routing shown in the FSM? Come to think of it, my upper door panels were re-upholstered and there is no hole for the mirror adjuster do-hickey. I must assume that the hole will be there and I will have to poke through the fabric from the inside and be good to go. If there are any other surprises in store remains to be seen, any tip offs are very much appreciated. Right now it's well below freezing and I ain't doin nuthin till it warms up some.

The mounting hole for the remote mirror control is in the door shell, and likely in the upper panel backing. The cables were secured with two plastic ring push-in retainers/clips. There is one hole in the forward door jamb, and another between that hole and the control mounting in the inner door shell these retainers snapped into to keep the cables out of the way of the windows movement.

I assumed that would be the case, but you never know. I recall what those little ring retainers look like but if not there where can they be purchased? I assume that the original backing is behind the new upholstery as you said. Also I assume the rubber block under the door glass is bolted down?! You can see my door panel below. Thanks again.
HPIM0004.JPG

The block is secured with a flat tab that pulls down through the lower door shell, should be able to see the tab on the bottom of the door.

As for the cables retainers, there are clips for Air Grabber hoses available that look like they should work. Unlike the AG retailers that are split, the original mirror cable retainers are not, and were assembled prior to the control cables being secured to the control.

That is good to know, I can picture the tab and have seen them before. I envisioned the possibility of a rubber block with a metal strip attached that would be bolted down with rusted bolts/nuts. I recall that all the cable retainer rings I have seen were the split type. Might even have universal replacements on one of those (help me) racks at the auto parts stores. Now that I think about it, the plastic retainers might be on the cable already as I only bought the mirror assembly a few weeks ago. Thanks again for all your help. It's not that I'm stupid but I am! LOL Being a boy scout some 55 years ago I always like to "Be Prepared!"

Auto Transport Service
Back