• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paid for my HitMaster launch control system today!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
I want to keep this thread short, and I'll post results once I have gone to the track, but the man who makes the ClutchTamer and HitMaster launch control systems told me updated information that they refer to in their product page.
The TOP ELEVEN cars in "Coyote Stock" run Clutch Tamers. That class allows for unlimited modifications to an automatic transmission, except for bolting the converter together (whatever that does).
One of their top winning racers tried switching to a tricked out auto and went back to a 3 pedal transmission and Clutch Tamer.
The point of this is in that class, the launch and performance in the quarter mile of MANUAL TRANSMISSION Clutch Tamer equipped cars consistently outperform those equipped with no holds barred automatic transmissions.
I realize that my tires are a significant launch traction disadvantage, but my point is that I believe my enthusiasm and high expectations for launch performance with the hydraulic HitMaster are justified.
A lot of people are launching in the 4,000+ RPM range with the launch control, and I know the trip I made to the dragstrip a week ago in the GTO, one launch was a few hundred RPMs up from the first run I made and I could feel the much faster launch just from a few hundred RPM increase.
Screenshot_20200303-213834_Messages.jpg

Here's a picture of it, and how it's hooked up:
hitmastersystem (2).png

Here's the way it works, as demonstrated by this graph. It goes right to the "sweet spot" of clutch friction that accelerates the car quickly without excessive or any wheelspin, but also not a full on clamp so it doesn't break parts from shocking the drivetrain or break the tires loose into a cloud of John Force like smoke. It hits that sweet spot immediately, and holds the (adjustable) preset clamping pressure for whatever (adjustable) time that is dialed in. The only concern is that the clutch disc can handle the heat without scorching or glazing. If I have to go to a "tougher" clutch disc, that means that the wear from the friction will have to be transferred to the pressure plate and billet steel flywheel, and honestly, I'd rather replace clutch discs from time to time.
hitmasterreleasecurve.png

I love your car and the mods youve made. I know youve been trying to improve your 60' as well as ET but am curious have you thought about buying/borrowing a set of wheels and tires that can utilize more of your potential ( rear tires being your limiting factor)? I want to see what that thing could really do given a set of stickys!!!

I love your car and the mods youve made. I know youve been trying to improve your 60' as well as ET but am curious have you thought about buying/borrowing a set of wheels and tires that can utilize more of your potential ( rear tires being your limiting factor)? I want to see what that thing could really do given a set of stickys!!!
Thank you, yes I am making changes and additions to improve traction and replacing worn out suspension parts.
I know that different rear tires and possibly wheels would make a big improvement, especially at the launch.
Although my drag radials are about 3 years old, they are still in good shape, with good tread depth. A lot or all of the parts I'm replacing and adding needed to be done anyway, and I want to see how well the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials actually can perform! They haven't had a "fair chance" to work! I need a line lock to really be able to clean and heat them in the burnout box, which I'm installing, the leaf springs are so worn that I bent a brand new top of the line Mancini pinion snubber...The Toyos work great for the street, look good, no fear of a sudden encounter with the Grim Reaper if I happen to get caught in some rain...
So if all the new stuff gets me where I want to be with my Toyos and my current motor, that means that when my brutally powerful 540 cu in motor goes in, I have a tire upgrade that I can add to the combination to help harness the brute force that I expect will be in abundance with the new engine.

Did he happen to mention what kind of clutch people are pairing it with?

Did he happen to mention what kind of clutch people are pairing it with?
We talked briefly about that. I told him that I had discussed my options, what I have, what I could switch to, with McLeod in detail, and McLeod had basically said try the organic clutch disc I have now, and the next step "up" is organic on one side and ceramic on the other. Any disc that lasts longer moves the wear to the flywheel and pressure plate, and Grant, the "Clutch Tamer/HitMaster dude" agreed that I should try the disc I already have. Sintered iron may also be something I have to look into. One ClutchTamer customer who wrote a glowing review uses a Ram dual disc clutch.

I think you are just chasing your tail with all this stuff if you don't start from the baseline of the widest 15" diameter bias ply slick you can fit.

I think you are just chasing your tail with all this stuff if you don't start from the baseline of the widest 15" diameter bias ply slick you can fit.
I hear ya, but I already have the drag radials, they have been great for street driving, and I have yet to even heat and clean them in the burnout box in the Roadrunner, but that's about to change with the installation of my new Wilwood disc brakes and line lock. The class of track only racers who are benefitting the most from the Clutch Tamer is forced to run drag radials, and the 60 ft times and dead hook launches they're getting are impressive.
I did heat the Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, (narrower than my 315/35/17s) 275/40/17s on the GTO a couple of weeks ago and they grabbed pretty well.
I'm so sold on the HitMaster that I am getting a hydraulic TO bearing and HitMaster for the GTO, so when we install the TKO600, I will have the same setup in my wife's car. I'll set it up for the best launch, and then just tell her "rev it to xxxx RPMs, dump the clutch and floor it" and she too can get the best launch with the drag radials that is possible.
We BOTH may wind up with track only tires on 15" wheels, but it's not time for them, yet.

Here it is. Grant, the guy who makes and sells them, has been helpful for "tech support" even before I got it.
It came in today:
20200307_192708.jpg

I have to wrap my head around the instructions, but I'm sure he will be available to help if I have questions.

Auto Transport Service
Back