• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint code QQ1

There are many different B5 Blue colors.
This was just from my experience in finding my blue paint color.
I went with Electric Blue which was a 1968 or '69 color I believe.

Chrysler called it Electric Blue.
Dodge called it Bright Blue.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?ppg=13354

Regardless of what it's called the PPG code number is 13354.
You can't just go by a color's name, they can have the same name and be very different colors from one year to the next and also from one car manufacturer to another.
Depends on the brand of paint also but, you can cross reference the codes at www.paintref.com

Have fun! I was stuck in that paint decision maze for weeks!

It's crazy I know....
If you read my previous posts, and from the research I have done, I agree with you 100%. Body work and pre prep is done on my 68 Sport Satty, but I am going to wait for a few months before I paint the QQ1.
What type of paint did you go with? ie: base coat clear coat, enamel, urathane etc. ? ............................MO

If you read my previous posts, and from the research I have done, I agree with you 100%. Body work and pre prep is done on my 68 Sport Satty, but I am going to wait for a few months before I paint the QQ1.
What type of paint did you go with? ie: base coat clear coat, enamel, urathane etc. ? ............................MO
This restoration is going so slow. I have to go check out in the shop to be accurate but, I will get back to you with the info.... Thanks

This restoration is going so slow. I have to go check out in the shop to be accurate but, I will get back to you with the info.... Thanks
No problem, I will add it to my information QQ1 folder. I am trying to figure out which type paint to go with. There are pro's and cons to each type I have seen so far................MO

I used the QQ1 Electric Blue in Deitzler PPG for base coat.
An enamel I believe. Used every drop of it so, I don't have a paint can label to read.

Urethane clear coat was by House of Color. $$$$
I used some pretty spendy brands and other brands also in levelers,
reducers, hardeners and anything else that my painter requested. ( Upol?)
Heck nothing was exactly low priced. I wanted it right so, I dug deep.

There are more brands that are probably a good choice also but, I got these brands because that's what he liked working with.
I had funds at that time so, why not?

How often do you get to choose exactly how you want your car to look?
This was the first and probably the last time that I'll get to do that.

When we hired him, I saw pictures of some amazing Lowrider paint jobs that he'd done in Southern Arizona.
So, Hell Yeah, lets go for it! LOL

Now, I'm no paint expert by any means...
I have to say that I am extremely happy with the paint and body work that my painter did on this car. Honestly, this car was in pretty rough shape when we brought it home.

I think it looks awesome!
So, I have no regrets about the paint or product choices at all.

Now, I just have to find another engine to rebuild.
This car's engine turned out to be totally trashed.
Unfortunately it had previously been dogged and abused too hard. Inside it was a mess, totally destroyed.
A set back for sure.

But hey, outside it looks great!

A few pictures,

IMG_0157.JPG IMG_0156.JPG IMG_0152.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0160.JPG IMG_0146.JPG

In my eyes this paint seems to change color under different lighting.
Sunlight makes it look a lighter Blue.
Indoors, or in shaded areas it can seem a very deep Blue
or a different Blue altogether. IMO
And, I like it a lot!

Last edited:
Did you paint your 68 Satty yet? I’m doing a 68 Super Bee now just wondering

Did you paint your 68 Satty yet? I’m doing a 68 Super Bee now just wondering
I am in the process of getting it ready to do the engine bay, door jambs, and around the trunk lid. Hoping to get the engine pulled in the next few days. I got my painter to commit at least that far, and hopefully get it all painted by Spring......................MO

No offense, but I have to dis agree. See my earlier post. There was even differences between B5's. I have been told by painters that spray gun settings can make the same paint appear different.................................MO
That is correct. When spraying metallic paints not only do gun settings, but viscosity of the paint, solvent speed, temperature, and the painters technique can make the same paint appear different. If the metallics settle in the wet paint, the paint appears darker. If the metallics do not settle, they paint would appear lighter as they reflect more light.

I ran this route already. Here is the spray out for QQ1, B5, and B7. I agree, QQ1 changes color with sun and shade, seems crazy.

C06354BA-A88F-49FC-B455-0968B2F9E90C.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back