• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint inspection marks.

1967 satellite

Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score
How can I find out about paint inspection marks/stamps for engine compartment and rear end. What colors were used, what they look like etc. Thanks in advance.

The only reference is what you find on your car.........

There is no step by step guide......

Actual, Un-touched Survivor cars are a great source, if you know of any.

I'm no OE guy, but in my opinion, if you aren't sure then leave them off.
I'd bet that lots of the paint daubs you see on "OE restorations" aren't accurate.

Guy goes to a show, sees "correct" OE restoration and duplicates it. Another guy sees guy A's car and mimics that car. Rinse and repeat.

All this does is perpetuate bad information.

As already said, if the remnants of original marks are present, good to go. If not, duplication of anything but a true survivor car (even those have plant specific marks) is a guess at best.

Survivor cars of the same year, make, model and plant are great choices to gather information from.......

A lot of research has been done on certain things that are cross plant similarities for certain years.......

Non OE restorers who pull.information by reading others posts are uaeless to chime in on a topic they will.never do nor do the research on.....so choose who to.listen to wisely...

Keep in mind a restoration alone makes the car unoriginal....it is only original once....

This is from one of the most original cars owned by my family, 67 New Yorker- 68,000 orig miles, garage stores etc. Beautiful original car since sold. This is an original marking (23), only one I have a pic of. I am including the certicard just because it was also that cool on a 50 yr old car.

863BE2CB-4098-4071-B0B9-66B3BCAA2D6F.jpeg C22C5ED5-1347-489A-A1AF-61BD0FC6C143.jpeg 603BE8D2-12FE-4268-8005-E99930F3609A.jpeg

67 Charger, listed for sale years ago, the story goes, protecto plate original owner was general motors pontiac division. The car was sold with a taped telephone conversation, talking about a day that the rear window blew out while they, GM , were testing the car. Have no idea where it ended up, but somebody does. here are some rear end markings.
DSCN2655Medium[1].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back