• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Jail!!

There s a local shop here 20 miles up the road the owner had been in the pen for assult, theift, chop shop etc. When he got arrested the last time he had guys cars in there for resto and he was striping them down and selling parts of Ebay!!!! People dropped off cars and never went to see! Another nearby shop took $6000 down from a trusting soul and never touched is old truck. Never. AHhhhhh TEXAS!!! lol

This sound's like the same old story. You here this all the time. Yes they do the insurance work and you car get's put on the back burner. Sorry for your luck. I am retired and did all my own body work and painting. The paint job is about 2800 due to the cost of the matrix paint. Have some orange peel and some fish eye but am happy with the job. Every one that see's it say's it is a grate job. Hope you and your painter can come to an agreement on a final day you can get the car back. :thumbsup:

My car was at the paint shop for 2 years but they only worked as fast as I could pay them. If the work the guy has done looks good, I would leave it there.

I hate dealing with body shops. They take as long as they want to, charge as much as they want to and it's not like you have a choice in the matter: we're not all gifted enough to do our own bodywork and as far as I'm concerned bodywork is literally a science or an art form...

I hate dealing with body shops. They take as long as they want to, charge as much as they want to and it's not like you have a choice in the matter: we're not all gifted enough to do our own bodywork and as far as I'm concerned bodywork is literally a science or an art form...

I know, what I don't understand is we are paying the same money as the insurance companies. We are paying for the time but why do they keep it so long. I know insurance claims takes priority but if we are paying the same money what's the difference?

Listen to the voice of experience, let your guy finish the job, this guys are absolutely right, another shop and another guy will cost you more and pretty much would be like start all over again, mine is in that prisión too, do I know the feeling, it sucks, but if you like the job the paint guy is doing, talk to him, hurry him up and get your car painted, IMO.

Listen to the voice of experience, let your guy finish the job, this guys are absolutely right, another shop and another guy will cost you more and pretty much would be like start all over again, mine is in that prisión too, do I know the feeling, it sucks, but if you like the job the paint guy is doing, talk to him, hurry him up and get your car painted, IMO.

How long has yours been in paint prison?

How long has yours been in paint prison?
Three years or more, I do what you want to do, money loss, head aches, the body/paint guy always asking for money, turns out he never do the work properly, and I got tired if his bs, looking for another guy to re start the work, the mechanical part in no such a big deal for me, but the paint job is what you and the people see, talk to your guy, trust in this old guys advice, it sucks to be friendly to a guy that you want I kick in the nuts, but if you are please with the job finish the car with him, just my .02cents.

Those insurance job's are the quick fix one panel then out the door. Our cars are the hole car. I can say that block sanding dose take hours. Two stage paints also take for ever. Put a coat on then wait. Put another coat on and wait again. These cars are like a boat. Lot of area to cover.

These cars are like a boat. Lot of area to cover.
Most people who see the my Coronet for the first time, even disassemble, are surprised of the size of the car, besides the longer the parts, more sanding and a keen eye is needed to finish properly, only a few paint guys take the challenge to paint this boats.

IMG_0101 (1).JPG
Mask it off then remove the masking. Tape off another area then paint then start over again. Sorry but it took me over 10 hours to just paint this part but I did a color blender over base coat with a royal blue mini flake then clear coated three coat's.

Most people who see the my Coronet for the first time, even disassemble, are surprised of the size of the car, besides the longer the parts, more sanding and a keen eye is needed to finish properly, only a few paint guys take the challenge to paint this boats.
One of my friend's took his two four body and paint shop's and they said. NO NO but HELL NO!!!!!!!!

View attachment 976744 Mask it off then remove the masking. Tape off another area then paint then start over again. Sorry but it took me over 10 hours to just paint this part but I did a color blender over base coat with a royal blue mini flake then clear coated three coat's.
Damm that looks good, very good, that's the color I want for my Coronet.

That is B5 Blue. coronet68mx. But think the color blender dose have an effect on the color. Make's it a little darker. Thanks I did all the work my self. Did it the old school way block sanded all by hand. No power tools. Thought they moved to quick.

O
One of my friend's took his two four body and paint shop's and they said. NO NO but HELL NO!!!!!!!!
A committed paint guy is so hard to find, mostly because of the time invested in getting it right before paint, add to this the ever present rust damage, you almost have the formula to scare the young inexperienced body/paint guys away:lol: and the young people like easy money making even worst and harder to find a good shop/guy, I found a guy that only take a job at a time, am in the waiting list.

Up for parole in the next few weeks. Been in incarceration since Feb 2017! lol
Only cut and polishing left. Oh a few odds and ends left. Only a few??? lol It hasn't been so bad in my situation. Struck up a great friendship with my painter and his family.

New Paint#3.JPG

That is B5 Blue. coronet68mx. But think the color blender dose have an effect on the color. Make's it a little darker. Thanks I did all the work my self. Did it the old school way block sanded all by hand. No power tools. Thought they moved to quick.

Very nice paint job! That's what color my RR is being painted, B5 Blue, but yours seems a little darker like you said. I wish I had your skills, I would do it myself!

Very nice paint job! That's what color my RR is being painted, B5 Blue, but yours seems a little darker like you said. I wish I had your skills, I would do it myself!
I watched a guy Pete on U tube SWRNC. But I guess I have the touch. Worked in a few body shop's when younger and paint shop's. Kept my mouth shut and ears open. But did as question's. Those guy's where doing lacquer paint job back then. I did strive for perfection and if I get good then was happy. LOL. Just give your painter a lot of encouragement on what he has done and butter him up. Then maybe say man I really need to have this car done be fore I am dead.

Auto Transport Service
Back