• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint on roadrunner taillights

Yennes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi

I got this roadrunner taillights and want to rechrome them. Does anyone know what kind of paint they used back then? It is a rough surface and I removed it with a piece of steel wool. Underneath the chrome is in very good shape.

Thanks
Yannik
IMG_6151.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG
IMG_6152.JPG
IMG_6153.JPG

"Argent" paint. Good luck with the rechroming but chances are they're going to cost you a LOT of money and still look like ****. They make reproductions !!

"Argent" paint. Good luck with the rechroming but chances are they're going to cost you a LOT of money and still look like ****. They make reproductions !!
Is it just silver paint on them? I do it myself and they will look good ;)

For example, this charger taillight bezel
C5C9B401-2F47-44A5-9DEC-1584DB9BD2B9.jpg

My friend has an orginal '69 RR. That silver Argent area on his is a dark Argent. Not correct on my RR, but I did mine in cast iron engine paint. Close enough for me, but I have seen them both ways. I have changed that headlight bezel out, it's for a GTX/Sport Satellite.

20231030_120752.jpg

Well maybe the paint colour changes over the years. You can see mine on the pictures does not look like dark or bright silver. I would say it is more like beige or something. Weird.

Thanks for all your information.

That Silver Argent colour is close to Krylon Dull Silver. I think the OP was asking about spraying over the pitted surface. There are "chrome" paints out there, but they never look right. Yeah, reproductions would be cheaper than screwing around with those pieces.

No I will rechrome them. It may take a while. I will post pictures about it right herr.

Since I have no roadrunner, they maybe will up for sale here. That is why I am searching for the correct colour. But it seems like I already found it.

Thanks

You will never recoup what you spend if you sell them. In my opinion ... they are very rough to begin with. They are plentiful a swap meets and in much better condition for reasonable prices. With pot metal, the better they are yo begin with the better the end result as well as less expensive. You're wasting your time and money - particularly since you don't own a RR !!

I do it for the experience. As I said, I do it all on myself. I know that it is not economical but maybe someone is happy about a pair of original taillights with part number.

Auto Transport Service
Back