• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

paint

bobby albertson

Local time
7:31 PM
Reaction score
I AM LOOKING FOR SOME 1970 B5 BLUE PAINT. ANYONE HAVE A LINK OR SOME?. ENOUGHT TO DO A HOOD BUT WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET?

I AM LOOKING FOR SOME 1970 B5 BLUE PAINT. ANYONE HAVE A LINK OR SOME?. ENOUGHT TO DO A HOOD BUT WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET?
Bobby, PPG can supply the b5 blue.
Question is do you need base coat , enamel, acrylic , ect.
Not sure what's on your car now.
If it is 50 yr old paint you should get with a body shop or paint supplier who can do a camera computer scan / shots of your original color.
That will be you best chance at a close color.
Just me but I would consider painting the cowl and fender tops to pull off a decent match.

Take a sample to a PPG dealer and have them scan it with the Prophet. Best chance you have to make it match.

Bobby, PPG can supply the b5 blue.
Question is do you need base coat , enamel, acrylic , ect.
Not sure what's on your car now.
If it is 50 yr old paint you should get with a body shop or paint supplier who can do a camera computer scan / shots of your original color.
That will be you best chance at a close color.
Just me but I would consider painting the cowl and fender tops to pull off a decent match.
Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Lots of different shades of B5 through the years. Even different paint manufacturers will be different. Even painting the doors a different day from the body can get you a mismatch.

It was repainted in b5 single stage. the hood had been damaged prior to me purchasing the car. It was done in the new 3 stage blue similiar but still a shade off, I am gonna try the best I can to match it when I re do the hood. Is ot necessary???? yea but we know how that goes..

Take a sample of the old paint to a PPG paint store and have them scan it with a rapidmatch spectrophotometer. You aren’t going to just buy paint that matches that well unless you know what was purchased before (exactly).

B5 in single stage will definitely be a tough, if not impossible match to single stage. It will shade.
Needs to be matched with a part off the car, a spectrometer will get it close. A good paint guy or gal with a keen eye is needed to hone in.
Base/CC and blend it for a better color match as B5 has mica in it.
Modern paint formulas are done by volume weight of many different colorants in the old days they shot the colorant from a dispenser from a spectrum of limited colorants a raw goods/colorants have changed over the years. B5 would have been converted at some point and considered a match to modern colorants/bases regardless if it was PPG, Xalta, Spies.....doesn't matter.
Single stage is easier thought of as pigmented clear for a more simplistic understanding.
Blend the basecoat and panel clear it with a medium solids clear, as these cars see little sun or step up to HS if you wanna throw some more dough at it..

If it is a Tri-stage, its BC/CC and a blend. You may better served seeking a custom painter locally to do it on the side.

Auto Transport Service
Back