• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a bell housing

THE STIG

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
I'm about to shoot some pain on my bell housing, any advice? Areas to avoid?

Hold On, everybody slow down this is to much information to take in all at once.

I guess just paint it. Clean it so the paint sticks well. Keep the paint off the internals.

Yep! What Dave said... I just sold the one i was going to use, cleaned it good and painted it aluminum..

I'd mask the dowel pin holes, otherwise paint away.

Hold On, everybody slow down this is to much information to take in all at once.

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..........easy big fella !

scrape....degrease......paint....TA-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...( and dont paint the inside stuff)

dont paint the mating surfaces on either end...or else youll be wondering why your back up lights dont work ! sand them nice-n-cleannnnnnnnnn. Assemble,terrorize the neighborhood, pick up chicks,,,,STAY OUT OF JAIL ! ...the end!

Nobody mentioned it, but if you want the factory look it should either be completely engine color, or cast iron grey with the engine color oversprayed where the block and bellhousing meet. This is because the engine had the bellhousing attached when it was painted. That seemed to vary a lot by years and even by day! Maybe someone can she some light on your particular year if you are interested.

Auto Transport Service
Back