• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting Engine bay...Primer or sealer ?

did not pull the block & head assy, intake and exhaust mans still on , and PS gear still in. Everything else has been removed...At this point I'm about to rattle can it black again ! (i'm sure I won't do that !) not all of these cars are going to be Barret Jackson material....I'm really starting to regret this car. Just don't think I'm up to this anymore. I really like the car, and would not want anything different, ever !!! I just don't know much about paint work, and was not ready for all of this.

Last edited:
Epoxy Primer after you clean the engine bay enough times to consider selling the car. Then single stage enamel with a hardener. Enamel can take a real beating and still look good and is relatively inexpensive and you can have it color matched to whatever you decide for the exterior. Painting is not some mysterious art you can get great result at home. In the early '70s I painted quite a few cars in friends garages with a paint booth made of 1x4's plastic sheet and a couple of cheap box fans with ac filters taped over the fans. Cheap and easy to build, washed the garage out and kept a sprinkler hose running outside to keep dust down. My teacher was a guy who worked at the Kenmore appliance factory painting washing machines and refrigerators. Best thing he taught me was to not to look directly at the paint you were applying but to view it from the side watching the wet reflection as you went.

Last edited:
Epoxy Primer after you clean the engine bay enough times to consider selling the car. Then single stage enamel with a hardener. Enamel can take a real beating and still look good and you can have it color matched to whatever you decide for the exterior.
Are you talking about Acrylic Urethane single stage ? I have been cleaning and sanding the he!! out of everything....This car will not defeat me !....and It will get finished, and do not plan to sell it....might want to burn it to the ground sometimes...but would not want anything else !... engine bay when I bought car also...epoxy drimer sounds siple enough......but wait there's more !

P1040827.JPG

fury15.jpg

Something like Nason's Ful-Poxy primer, inexpensive. You don't want a primer or sealer that you need to sand. A harbor freight paint gun (lots of youtube videos on these) a borrowed or rented compressor with a cheap toilet paper filter and a plastic throw-a-way filter at the gun is enough to paint the engine compartment. Pro tip aluminum foil and regular cling wrap is a great way to keep paint off what you dont want to paint. Beware of brake fluid (previous spills) it eats paint. Plan on painting the firewall to the pinch weld and don't worry about what's below it if you aren't pulling the engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back