• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting engine bay..single stage or 2 stage paint

I'm sure you know what you talking about...but $600. a gallon for clear is not going to happen. This car is a driver, and is not going to ever win an award for anything. I just want to make it a nice old car. I'm sure your paint jobs are stunning. Just not in my budget. Thanks
It has nothing to do with stunning or not, just with your time line and color the base/clear will be a way easier match. I was not a fan of base /clear or the price, but had to change with the times.

We sealed, primed and painted with base coat, clear coat. Have the mix from when the car was painted so the match is perfect. Painted my cage with the same paint.

20150818_220204.jpg

20150818_220219.jpg

20150820_192011.jpg

20150820_192023.jpg

20150824_212628.jpg

20150824_212638.jpg

IMG_8664.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

IMG_8671.jpg

IMG_54301.jpg

My vote is Single Stage. My reasons:

Scratch repair is easier.
Buff will be easier.
Touchups hide easier.

But both will look good if done right.

RGAZ

I'm sure you know what you talking about...but $600. a gallon for clear is not going to happen. This car is a driver, and is not going to ever win an award for anything. I just want to make it a nice old car. I'm sure your paint jobs are stunning. Just not in my budget. Thanks
No need to spend $600 a gallon on clear. I like the SPI Universal Clear 1:1. Get a quart of clear and a quart of activator. For $120, you'll have a half gallon of sprayable product. And you will have a lot left over after you spray your engine bay. Pricing | United States | Southern Polyurethanes.

duster 5-25-18 005.JPG

I decided on BCCC on mine because of the metallic and transparency of FC7. I have done a few , and I mean a few, paint jobs in my life. I'm not a full time bodyshop painter but I can do a decent job. I based and cleared mine in the trunk, jambs and engine compartment all at the same time. I would totally agree with the notion of buying all your paint upfront so everything matches. Incidentally, mine isn't a show car or trailer queen either; just something to smoke tires on the weekend.

77413.jpeg

77414.jpeg

It's actually the factory color code but the product is ShopLine PPG

Mine is 69 Dodge f6. Chose the color after seeing it on a 6 pack Super Bee.

The F6 looks nice. I've sprayed F5 single stage in the past. The green shades seem to vary the most depending on the color of primer.

Mine is 69 Dodge f6. Chose the color after seeing it on a 6 pack Super Bee.
Great choice!!! Around 1990, I met a guy that had 2 of these A12 cars in his garage in F6. Amazing to see 2 but the more astonishing feature was that they were sequenced cars off the assembly line!!! No kidding.....when they came to the Dodge dealers in his small town, he kept track of the two owners over the years was able to buy both!!!! What a package that would have sold for had he taken them to Barrett or Mecum!!

Late to the party but I have a question.
When using these paints is under hood temperature a concern? I was planning to use off the shelf spray paint. The MSDS states that over 200F is bad.
For the record I’m not going for a complete restoration, just trying to get the car on the road.

Late to the party but I have a question.
When using these paints is under hood temperature a concern? I was planning to use off the shelf spray paint. The MSDS states that over 200F is bad.
For the record I’m not going for a complete restoration, just trying to get the car on the road.

I've painted engines with 2 stage paint and with rattle can paint. They both held up to thr heat. The 2 stage is way more durable. For inner fenders and firewall, you should be fine with either.

Tonight I’m painting the K frame red. I’ll get to the inner fenders and firewall this weekend. Thank you!

Auto Transport Service
Back