• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Panel adhesive, where is it safe to use?

The not so tall man

Local time
3:07 AM
Reaction score
Replacing the following panels on my 71SSP.

Quarters
Inner and Outer shell houses
Trunk extensions
Tail light panel
Rear cross member
Trunk gutters

While watching some youtube videos on replacement it seems like they don't want you to use it on
the rear vertical part of the quarter.

Anyone know why, and does this mean it shouldn't be used on the tail light panel or crossmember?

It also says not to use on rails, rockers or things that are structural but says its perfect for things like quarter panels, which I thought would be structural.

I imagine the trunk extensions will be fine, but what about the wheelhouses?

i wouldn't use it on a old unibody car myself for a few reasons
i'm doing a 71 rr that needs alot more metal then that.

you could probaby get away with it,
but if you are even questioning as to where to use it
before you even start, why take a chance?
plus it will kill resale value...
i would run away from a glued together car...
it does have a place in the autobody industry,
imo our old cars are not the place.

Last edited:
I have over 40 years experience in the body repair business alone. I'm as old-school as one can be. Up until about 10 years ago, I thought the same. Then, I figured I'd try, so I used both 3M and Lord Fusor products, on a new job. Now, I swear by them. Ask anyone, did you ever detach spot-welded panels & likewise, did you ever try to detach adhesived panels ? What's funny, years ago shops BRAZED panels, which can't even come close to a job using modern adhesives. Just my 2 cents...

As an aside , you can actually make a structure "too strong" on a late model vehicle using adhesives. Some manufacturers have utilized a rivets & adhesive system in their structures.

Nothing like these products existed when our cars where built. New cars are designed to compress and accept Stress differently. all new cars are designed to absorb stress of daily use and accidents. welding still
remains the method of choice for 40 year old cars.

PT Cruisers and several other cars come factory with glued on quarters.

I had to repair the upper cowl area on my 71 GTX, which required me pulling off the body numbers plate. In liu of spot welding this back on, I was wondering what kind of protection from rust would I get from the adhesive if I used this instead of spot welding with weld through primer?

Craig

I cut up/stretched apart a few cars with a Hurst spreader and cutter. Where adhesive was used it tended to separate/fail all at once when stressed whereas the spot welded areas would tear at spot-weld and stop at next spot weld until more force was applied. I will not be using panel adhesive on any of my cars.

Nothing like these products existed when our cars where built. New cars are designed to compress and accept Stress differently. all new cars are designed to absorb stress of daily use and accidents. welding still
remains the method of choice for 40 year old cars.

Always been my opinion. It'll bond the panels, no doubt...but will it react like the factory intended the the panels to in a wreck. Everyone assumes that stronger is better, but if the car was designed to 'fail' in areas that are now 'stronger', how does that force get transferred in a hard wreck?

Auto Transport Service
Back