• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Time to move on

Thanks to all the replies. I just want the panels replaced,I will do all the body work and paint.

davek, I hear your frustration and can relate. It can be disheartening with today's workforce in our favorite pastime of loving our Mopars and finding a quality, honest shop is one of the worst dilemma's of our hobby. However, in Easley, SC is a good friend of mines shop, King's Kustom's where the owner Gerald King has been doing custom's for over 20 years and one would be hard pressed to find anyone more honest and dedicated to his work than he is. He is **** about his work and it won't go out the door until he, and you, are satisfied with the results. One of the best painters in the upstate with quality and perfection as the goal. Of course it all depends on the level of "perfection" one expects that determines the price. But I can assure you you will not be displeased with his work. Word of mouth goes a long ways when it comes to body work and he doesn't advertise, doesn't need to.
Anyway just a suggestion since you are only approx. 120 miles from him. Here's a facebook link to some of his work.

Happy hunting!
Your friend does some very nice work. I just might give him a call if I cant find someone local. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Well I have been waiting a year and a half . Frustrated with the guy who said he would replace some panels on the charger. Finally dropped off 1 fender,very little work to be done dog leg patch on it, and its been sitting for a month at his shop. Charger needs dr floor pan, rear tail panel and valance replaced. Is this the new norm? Asked him today and he wouldnt give me an answer. My buddies camaro has been there for 2 years. Reason for that is my buddy dragged his feet on the parts. I bought everything I needed well over a year ago. At one point I was thinking of selling the charger. But Mike aka @Charles Cook slapped me upside my head to bring me back to reality. Thanks Mike. So tired of people now a days. If you dont want to do it then say so. And being in Columbia there isnt crap here for metal work on classic cars. Found another shop and was told bring it down and we will tell you if we want to do it. Then they will call me when they are ready to do the work. That means take a day off get a trailer. My buddy in NY said take two weeks off and bring the car there and he would do the metal and we could paint it. 800 mile trip and now its starting to sound good to me. CRAZY Thanks for letting me vent.
Faster and cheaper to take vocational courses at a local community college?

I'm serious.

Unfortunately Im hypoglycemia so I barely past welding when I was in school.

here you go

20221001_152140.jpg

20230916_115056.jpg

Body shop jail is hell especially when you lose money. I had multiple parts fenders, doors and valences some in bare metal sit for a year waiting cause there was no room for the car itself. A year later with broken promises I picked them even after I had a few thousand tied up in PREPAYMENTS that I got NOTHING for. I ended up getting a friend of a friend to paint the car...

looks like the rest of them.......

I know a guy, he's a bit jammed up right now........ but that's right in his wheelhouse

Body shop jail is hell especially when you lose money. I had multiple parts fenders, doors and valences some in bare metal sit for a year waiting cause there was no room for the car itself. A year later with broken promises I picked them even after I had a few thousand tied up in PREPAYMENTS that I got NOTHING for. I ended up getting a friend of a friend to paint the car...
The place I talk to said they wont take the car till they are ready for it. They said they have no space because they have too many cars there already. They want to see it and decide then if they want to do it. I do not want my car sitting outside.

Really .... Wow the reviews didn't reflect that. Some people may have had an issue but they have mostly great reviews. Mostly 5 stars. I have never been there personally I just remember them doing that Bird. Here are some reviews.. Doesn't mean much I guess but they are all good. The Installation Center, Cleveland, GA in Cleveland, GA 30528 - (706) 3...
Unfortunately we can no longer put our stock in reviews either. So many whoever’s pay a service to put up reviews for them. Nothing is what it was….. You have to try and get to satisfied customers in some other way…

Well I have been waiting a year and a half . Frustrated with the guy who said he would replace some panels on the charger. Finally dropped off 1 fender,very little work to be done dog leg patch on it, and it’s been sitting for a month at his shop. Charger needs dr floor pan, rear tail panel and valance replaced. Is this the new norm? Asked him today and he wouldnt give me an answer. My buddies camaro has been there for 2 years. Reason for that is my buddy dragged his feet on the parts. I bought everything I needed well over a year ago. At one point I was thinking of selling the charger. But Mike aka @Charles Cook slapped me upside my head to bring me back to reality. Thanks Mike. So tired of people now a days. If you dont want to do it then say so. And being in Columbia there isnt crap here for metal work on classic cars. Found another shop and was told bring it down and we will tell you if we want to do it. Then they will call me when they are ready to do the work. That means take a day off get a trailer. My buddy in NY said take two weeks off and bring the car there and he would do the metal and we could paint it. 800 mile trip and now its starting to sound good to me. CRAZY Thanks for letting me vent.
I had a known entity do my GTX up in Mpls. Two buddies to go check it out and push the envelope. This guy had an hourly rate and did all his work at his home shop. I sent him $$ monthly with progress reports and pics - More than just the body and paint. I found all the parts and had them shipped to him. Five yrs later I told him to nail everything down I was taking it w/me next time up there - and it better damn well be done. It turned out very nice in most aspects but down the road a bit I was finding gremlins where he didn’t do as he said - mostly on some of the mechanical/electrical issues. Many just simply can’t be trusted to do as they say when there’s money involved.

If I were you I’d take that time off and head north to your reliable friends and kill it all when there.

Reading all this is causing a little anxiety, as I’m getting my Savoy ready to take to a local shop for body work and paint. Small shop, just 3 guys, the owner, a mechanic/body guy, and body guy/painter. They do everything from small repairs to complete restorations. A couple of friends have used their talents with great results, and the cars come in, get the work done, and they’re out of there. They don’t sit around for months at a time, as long as payments come in, and the shop rate is reasonable. The only thing I’m worried about is that everybody is getting older, especially me, I hope nothing changes. They should be ready to take it sometime in May or June, I hope I’m ready. It’s about ready for the rotisserie, some rust repair in the floor and rear glass opening, plus removing all the undercoating.
Dave I wish you luck with your project, hopefully things will go smoothly when you decide where to take it. Sounds like your friend a few hours away is your best bet and maybe the least expensive.

Reading all this is causing a little anxiety, as I’m getting my Savoy ready to take to a local shop for body work and paint. Small shop, just 3 guys, the owner, a mechanic/body guy, and body guy/painter. They do everything from small repairs to complete restorations. A couple of friends have used their talents with great results, and the cars come in, get the work done, and they’re out of there. They don’t sit around for months at a time, as long as payments come in, and the shop rate is reasonable. The only thing I’m worried about is that everybody is getting older, especially me, I hope nothing changes. They should be ready to take it sometime in May or June, I hope I’m ready. It’s about ready for the rotisserie, some rust repair in the floor and rear glass opening, plus removing all the undercoating.
Dave I wish you luck with your project, hopefully things will go smoothly when you decide where to take it. Sounds like your friend a few hours away is your best bet and maybe the least expensive.
Just check them out, and I hope all gos well for you. The guy who said he would do the work is great at what he does. He is 72 and I think he just wants to do the simple stuff. Great guy and no matter what he will and always be my friend.

I've had a car in bodyshop jail for over ten years now! It was a big project that snowballed into an even bigger project. It's supposed to be coming back to my place in the next few weeks so we can get it back on the rotisserie to finish whatever needs to be done on the underside. I'll probably do the jams, interior and underneath here and I still need to find another painter for the exterior. With any luck, I may be able to drive it next year for the first time in about twenty years.

I've had a car in bodyshop jail for over ten years now! It was a big project that snowballed into an even bigger project. It's supposed to be coming back to my place in the next few weeks so we can get it back on the rotisserie to finish whatever needs to be done on the underside. I'll probably do the jams, interior and underneath here and I still need to find another painter for the exterior. With any luck, I may be able to drive it next year for the first time in about twenty years.
Ten years! You must be a Saint, not to have wrung his neck by now. Good luck with the paint job. I don't know too many painters around my area that will put their paint work over someone else's body work.

I must be blessed, I have a list of folks around me who do extremely good work, and when you take stuff there, it gets done. My painter “doesn’t paint anymore, but I’ll do yours”, my mechanical and metal fitter take your car in, works on it every day, is very reasonable, and gets it done. I had him and my welder buddy do the floorpan of the Roadrunner at his house, he works out of his 2 car garage. I bought the parts and supplies, Rick did the cutting and fitting, and fabbed up some small patches, my welder buddy came over to Ricks with his mobile welding truck and welded it all up, I paid them both in cash and brought the car home and finished sealing it myself. Rick and I also went through the trans, new clutch, went through the rear end, new lines, new brakes, new tank, he went through the heater box, and did the e brake cable (his pet peeve, he hates a non functional e brake). I think I paid Rick $1500, and Glen the welder $500. What Would’ve taken me months to do at home took about 3 weeks. Money and time well spent.
Rick also came over when it was time for the first fire up in 42 years and helped me dial in the carbs. He also came by to lend a hand with the headliner, which took us about an hour to install.

I have a great upholstery guy, I do most all of my own mechanical work, but I have a great machine shop nearby, in SE Michigan, I feel very blessed to be surrounded by such good, honest, talented friends and fellow hobbiests. And yes, Rick works on all manner of cars, I’ve sent a lot of F-BO members there, all with great results.

DBE7ECC2-E04F-425C-974B-65692D98D914.jpeg

7C56EF94-681A-4A40-B5A2-C30A866583DA.jpeg

777C9F6C-3EF3-43E6-87F6-092206BB177D.jpeg

12A735D7-CF2D-4DE5-835E-044BAB7FDA55.jpeg

61F3C50B-1F8B-40B0-8F52-BC0CBA77A755.jpeg

1A17A0C3-5A6C-404F-AE64-FDE3189E9BBA.jpeg

061FE722-E3B3-4D75-B41E-87DDA8BF706A.jpeg

36FC8954-0B3E-4E55-8ED6-E8E060055044.jpeg

FD175E0C-3B73-4EEE-AE31-81DC4A6E4FE9.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back