• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake cable 65 to 68

Timmayy

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I have wifey's 68 8 3/4 suregrip axle ready to install in her 65 Belvedere wagon. I upgraded to the 69 and up auto adjusters. My next question is about the parking brake. Should I order a new 1965 parking brake cable or a 1968? Are they the same? Thanks.

If you feel the need to change it (them)...

Unless your car changed length, I'm thinking you use the '65 cable that goes from the pedal to the parking brake adjustment point (just infront of the differential, on the driver's side).

As for the short cables going to each wheel, check the ends on what you currently have to see that they will properly connect at the adjustment and at the wheel.

I personally would inspect the cables and housings for corrosion, fraying, and the ends for solid swedging. If it all looks good, re-use. If any looks bad, replace. On my '66 Belve II the long cable & casing were good. The shorties going to the wheels had corroded housings (sleeves), so I replaced them.

I'll inspect them this weekend to see how bad they are corroded. Thanks.

I looked at them and both the 65 and 68s look the same at the drum end. I'm thinking I can just get the complete 65 kit. The one on the wagon looks pretty beat.

Now my next question is, is the station wagon parking brake setup the same as the passenger car?

Update. I let the original ones soak in WD-40 for a few days and they are in surprisingly great shape. They move freely now so I'm going to reinstall them.

Auto Transport Service
Back