• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Brake (Emergency Brake) on '68 RR ??

Chi Town Runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:32 AM
Reaction score
On my '68 RR is the "Brake Light" on the dash supposed to illuminate when the parking brake is applied?
Mine doesn't but don't know if supposed to.

Thanks all.

There is a switch on the pedal that grounds when the pedal is pushed. Make sure the plunger works and it is plugged in.

A little description where the switch is located in relation to the parking brake pedal.

Thanks again

look at the E Brake Pedal itself....follow it upward...you'll see a switch like the domelight switch in the door post. Might be a broke switch, or the wire to the switch.

Ok. Problem not solved.
Please bear with me as I try to describe the issue and my question afterworld as I try to explain my problem.
I get a "BRAKE" light intermittingly lighting and/or flickering on the instrument panel. (on occasion)
I checked brake fluid - OK
The light NEVER illuminated when my "parking brake" had been engaged since I had the car since 1996..

Based upon info provide by "Basket case" here, which I truly value, I checked for the switch on the parking brake.

I found the gromet for the switch and found the drawing in my "Service Manual"
No switch there. No errant wire visible either....

When I checked my wiring diagram it shows the wire from the "Brake Failure Warning" (from the distribution block for the brakes) and that connects to the "Brake Light Switch".

On my brake pedal there is the brake light switch connection and a second elect connector. Could that be the connection from the parking brake?
I don't need a "Brake warning light" for my parking brake.
Its a 4-speed car so I always engage the parking brake and never leave without disengaging it.
I can't any think what the second connector on my brake pedal is for other than the parking brake.

Any thoughts.
Thanks for bearing with me on this.

Auto Transport Service
Back