• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking brake woes.

493 Mike

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Hi fellas, I am trying to install the parking brake in my 65 Belvedere but, can't hook up the cable end. It doesn't appear to be long enough to reach the clevis in the pedal mechanism?
I don't have the original to compare and I can see no way the floor grommet can fit over the flange on the cable end either. According to the FSM, the grommet should install down thru the floor/fire wall hole yet the grommet on my replacement cable installs from the bottom up?
This grommet is all rubber without the 3 tabs like the OEM grommet (which I also have in reproduction form). How could the reproduction, 3 tab grommet ever be installed over the cable end flange anyway? I has a steel insert molded in that supports the 3 tabs so no stretch is available to use. I could use some help!
Mike
IMG_2538.JPG

A friend had the same problem, but he cut the grommet, spread it, put it over the cable clipped it in place and sealed it. He used his old cable I think. Will check with him , it was awhile ago.

Friend bought a DMT firewall kit for his 66 Charger. Grommet came with the kit. It has the prongs, he only cut it through one side, then twisted the cut areas got over the cable, closed it up and installed it. He used a knife to cut the rubber then side cutters to cut the metal sleeve.

Friend bought a DMT firewall kit for his 66 Charger. Grommet came with the kit. It has the prongs, he only cut it through one side, then twisted the cut areas got over the cable, closed it up and installed it. He used a knife to cut the rubber then side cutters to cut the metal sleeve.
Thanks. The main issue is the inner cable length. I am missing something or the cable is too short.
Mike

Hey! I figured it out. The rebound rubber bumper must be removed from the pedal assembly to gain extra stroke. The FSM does not explain that need. I did leave the upside down grommet as I think it will seal better than the OEM grommet. Thanks for the ideas!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back