• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PARTS MANUAL AND NUMEROS

Rooster

Local time
6:34 AM
Reaction score
I was recently given a 1969 model year parts manual...interesting stuff in there but. Can anyone explain just how in the hell you read those things. I understand some of the small stuff now, like the 8 and 6 signifying engine size, but what about all the one's and two's in columns and rows and all the letters?
I've also seemed to notice as I have one of those Dave Wise manuals that lists some parts numbers but they are different. Was there any discrepancy between parts numbers in the original production parts and the parts a fella would get from from the dealer guy looking it up in one of these manuals. In other words are the part numbers different.

Yes sir, I suppose it would be called the parts catalog, its just a giant binder

Give you basics to find a part. I picked rear axle section 3 .
Go to picture with part in it, flange or yoke.
Note the number 16-20-1, that is section 16 the 20th sub section 1 is where the part number is. Section 16 is Propeller shaft.
At top of page you'll columns with different models A,B and C bodies. Mine has Imperial also.
Go down the page until you see 16-20-1.
Then you for yoke say 8.75 yoke. The yoke for 8.75 is the one with 10 teeth. P/N 2808365. It could be 2808384 with 426 or 440 engine. I didn't look close enough.
Some things can get complicated, it takes careful reading.
If you notice rear axle is in section 3 but yoke P/N is in Propeller Shaft Section 16. Make sense, yes and no. I fished through the parts book to make a list of P/N so when I went to swap meets I'd have them in a note book in numerical order. Parts man at dealer taught me basics when I was able to order parts in 1970 to 1980.
pb.jpg
pb2.jpg
pb3.jpg
pb4.jpg

Last edited:
Are asking about something like this?
Mine is for 68 and 69 passenger cars only and is 5 inches thick in just the pages.
If what you have is complete you can learn much by spending time at the beginning of each sec.
What I get from mine is proper identification of a part from the illustration pages then look in the application pages to get more information.
The bottom line is original part numbers can be superseded/ corrected as the manufacturing business was always getting updated.

IMG_0451 (Large).JPG

Are asking about something like this?
Mine is for 68 and 69 passenger cars only and is 5 inches thick in just the pages.
If what you have is complete you can learn much by spending time at the beginning of each sec.
What I get from mine is proper identification of a part from the illustration pages then look in the application pages to get more information.
The bottom line is original part numbers can be superseded/ corrected as the manufacturing business was always getting updated.

View attachment 604889
That's the one, so are you saying some numbers in the book are different from numbers on original parts?

That's the one, so are you saying some numbers in the book are different from numbers on original parts?

I am the last one to make that statement.:)
I guess I am where you are about knowing the last and final answer.
Welcome to some of the fun of the hobby. Maybe you can uncover something as you join us in learning.

Last edited:
Here’s one for ya
2FEA7876-CBB2-4AED-8CE8-19BD532F8ECA.jpeg

This manual says the correct number for alternator bracket with 440 w AC is 2806039... that’s the exact one that was on my motor.
However, take this with a grain of salt, but that is nowhere in the parts manual..I looked at all the numbers under alternator just to be sure.
Sooo original numbers are different than parts book numbers? Maybe. Maybe not

I am reluctant to respond to this topic.
When parts are "cast" they get a number. That number may or may not fit with the number expected and or found in the "books"
When parts and cars were made it was a hectic place. And out the door cars was the mission.

I suppose. It really does not seem all so important in this day and age, I just think it's interesting info on why they did what they did.

In case above I don't know either. Chrysler superseded part numbers, same part new number.

I am reluctant to respond to this topic.
When parts are "cast" they get a number. That number may or may not fit with the number expected and or found in the "books"
When parts and cars were made it was a hectic place. And out the door cars was the mission.

The books are not the be-all-end-all, but they are a good starting point, no? :moparsmiley:

If that damn black swan in the 70's didnt happen, we would have a lot clearer picture...

Even with the {ahem} factory line anomalies. :rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back