• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passenger side glass

rrTor-Red

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
71 B body. Thinking of putting new glass in all around. On the passenger 1/4 window (both) how does the trim come off to go on a new set?

I looked through my 1974 Body Service Manual and I came up empty. I guess Chrysler never intended for us to take off those trim pieces!
I would assume though that they are held on by some kind of adhesive or maybe it sort of slides over with a backing plate and screws into the quarter glass. I found this picture on Classic Industries website and it looks like toward the front end of the glass piece there is two holes where it would appear that the trim pieces would slide over and then be attached via a screw/bolt.
MM1689.JPG
I'd mess around with the trim on my car for you, but it's in winter storage away from my house. :angryfire:
Hope this helps and good luck!

The ’71-72 glass has a different shape than what is pictured, and there are no holes along the front edge for any kind of fasteners. It’s a pressure/interference fit, never seen any sign of adhesives used originally.

Why are you wanting to put in all new glass? Just curious, because I have seen some of the new stuff out there, and its no where near the quality of originals from the era, or even replacements from the era. Most door glass I have seen is wavy along the edges.

Why are you wanting to put in all new glass? Just curious, because I have seen some of the new stuff out there, and its no where near the quality of originals from the era, or even replacements from the era. Most door glass I have seen is wavy along the edges.

I guess I should clarify this. I'm thinking of putting new glass in IF I can get them but also was wondering about the passenger rear quarter glass how to swap out the trim. Didn't know about the "waviness" along the edges. I might look at Eastwood to see if they have something to help polish old glass if I can. Also, If I use the same windsheild, how to get the old butyl tape off without damaging it. Advice on anything?

Ok, a couple of things. First off, the front windshield, and the rear glass, the butyl is a pain in the ***, its best to remove while warm, and its recommended to use a piano wire to cut through it to separate it and then remove and its tedious work. My windshield was seriously cracked, so I was not concerned about keeping in tact, and I got a 521 restoration windshield, that came from AMD, and its pretty darn good. I had the new windsheld installed with modern sealant, but i did reinstall the back glass with butyl, and again, tedious work.

The rest of my original glass I polished out the fine scratches, it took some work but they cleaned up pretty good. There is a current thread about polishing glass on the site here, check that out, may be helpful, but remember, deep scratches will not come out, but the dull feather like wear for say the window sweeps can be improved. Regarding the quarter glass, you can get new seals that slide into the trim piece, and that trim piece can be polished, that's what I did and they turned out great.

Here is a link to the quarter glass seals http://www.mopar9999.com/FCStore2008/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1187, I am sure there are other places that have these, but pretty easy to replace.

Hope this helps!

Ok, a couple of things. First off, the front windshield, and the rear glass, the butyl is a pain in the ***, its best to remove while warm, and its recommended to use a piano wire to cut through it to separate it and then remove and its tedious work. My windshield was seriously cracked, so I was not concerned about keeping in tact, and I got a 521 restoration windshield, that came from AMD, and its pretty darn good. I had the new windsheld installed with modern sealant, but i did reinstall the back glass with butyl, and again, tedious work.

The rest of my original glass I polished out the fine scratches, it took some work but they cleaned up pretty good. There is a current thread about polishing glass on the site here, check that out, may be helpful, but remember, deep scratches will not come out, but the dull feather like wear for say the window sweeps can be improved. Regarding the quarter glass, you can get new seals that slide into the trim piece, and that trim piece can be polished, that's what I did and they turned out great.

Here is a link to the quarter glass seals http://www.mopar9999.com/FCStore2008/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1187, I am sure there are other places that have these, but pretty easy to replace.

Hope this helps!

I have all of my glass out. I was able to get the front and rear out without breaking the glass what so ever. Trying to figure if it would be better to just try and polish everything or get new. Now, I'm starting to lean towards just polishing everything up if I can find the post of polishing glass. I think there was an article in a Mopar magazine that they use something from Eastwood. Also, I have the new rear 1/4 glass seals. Thanks for input, much appreciated

- - - Updated - - -

Would a glass shop have the rubber bumpers that went on the bottom of the windshield and I think the rear glass? Lost mine and where it went when they were removed before paint

I have not seen the spacers sold anywhere, but that doesn't mean they don't exist, I would check with a local auto glass shop.

My glass guy just installed my new windshield and reused old rear glass last week. . He had a rubber block that he cut a chunk off of to put at bottom of glass to hold in place. Used modern eurathane and worked great. 0000 steel wool works pretty good to polish glass and get off the remnants of the old sealer too.

The ’71-72 glass has a different shape than what is pictured, and there are no holes along the front edge for any kind of fasteners. It’s a pressure/interference fit, never seen any sign of adhesives used originally.

Figures they'd show the wrong picture, I kinda figured that it would be a press fit deal like you said after thinking about it more during my drive up to classes today.

I've worked in 4 Salvage yards and took numerous glass out of my own Mopars and I don't find butyl to be that
difficult to deal with . Maybe it's me ? The last Butyl Kit I bought from my body supply store had the Rubber Spacers in
the box . When polishing glass the trick is to keep the glass cool .

eeehm, need to note 71 are diff from 72s even the same quarter opening shape.

71s are small squared mounted on a pot metal bracket or frame, for a while 72s are big glass with the hole for the fasteners to the chanels sliders, just like fronts.

quarter glass posted seems to be A body fastback

and about the trim... need to remove weather strip, which are slided into holes to the body... then will reach the outer molding bracket screws.

before that, of course all the interior trim

- - - Updated - - -

s-l1600.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

s-l500.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is talking about hardtops. Actually not sure if coupes are diff.

71s are small squared mounted on a pot metal bracket or frame, for a while 72s are big glass with the hole for the fasteners to the chanels sliders, just like fronts.

and about the trim... need to remove weather strip, which are slided into holes to the body... then will reach the outer molding bracket screws.

- - - Updated - - -

s-l1600.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

s-l500.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Nacho. Again, I have new weatherstrip to put in. Just thinking, I guess it would slide in the trim by using something like Vaseline or something? I heard the weatherstrip can be a pain without something to help it slide.

I find harder to remove than install, but OF COURSE thats the idea of them. I didn't use any kind of lubrication to help on instalation when I fit in my new ones.

- - - Updated - - -

s-l1600.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

s-l500.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Nacho, are those both Charger 1/4 glass? I'm pretty sure Dodge and Plymouth are different. Just want to compare apples to apples.

I'm talking about Chargers... Dunno Plymouths

Maybe 71/72 Plymouths are the same than 73/74 Chargers? ( quarter opening is the same )

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, didn't noticed the Plymouth avatar on the OP... Simply thought it was a Charger talk

- - - Updated - - -
Instructions posted earlier was talking about outer catwiskers.

Now, vertical quarter seal trim is just on place by presure with somekind of filler inside to hold it by pressure.

Seal is slided into the trim, hold by a tab on lower section of trim.

I was able to install it without any kind of lubricant

- - - Updated - - -

AAAAND, I it seems Metro seals ppl fixed their seals design! Initially they were open on bottom end of seal, and when rolling dow the 1/4 glass with door glass up, the seal get sticked and get bent. I had to get them again but steele rubber this time ( which were sealed there )

Dunno if you get what I meant

I'll add some info here to help out. Also I've wondered if 73/74 Plymouth quarter glass is the same for 71/72 Plymouth quarter glass and 73/74 Charger non SE. Below are pics of the bare quarter glass from a 1973 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus (2 door). The trim was removed and it was held in place by a press fit.

Thanks, Bryan

Glass RH.jpgGlass LH.jpg

Older thread, but if your glass is good and can be polished, go that route. All of the new/reproduction glass I have installed tends to fit like garbage. The cut and curvature just isn't the same.

Auto Transport Service
Back