• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon 833 OD gear set vs OEM or late OD

Meep-Meep

дворянин
Local time
3:54 AM
Reaction score
I would like some feed back from people who have used his gear set. What I'm looking for specifically is how the gear set responds to different engine tuning setups and durability. I have searched a little about this subject and found a lot of stuff like "the guy is an A hole" etc... Or "he's the best" not interested in a character review but rather is the hardware good. Has anyone broken a set, how does it shift, whining or odd harmonics from the gears, assembly issues??

My concern is the gear spacing may cause me to "fall off the cam" if I have a hot street 108 LC grind so my thought is to use something like a 112 or longer LC. I have calculated ratios, etc and on paper it seems to be a non issue for a mild engine but nothing like experience I say. The ratios are close to a TF but of course you don't have the 2:1 converter break away. Hopefully someone who has some seat time can fill me in. Oh, and if someone had the factory three speed ratios of the era to compare that may help too.

I plan to run this in my 69 RR with a 426 wedge with a six pac and a 4.10 Dana.

Thanks for reading.

Ran the old style behind a 440 six pack with 3.55s and it was ok - quite a rpm drop from 1st to 2nd... Passon kit should be better

Passon's unit has not been around long enough that it is likely you will find many people on this site that has one.

If it were me, I would ask Passon for customer names that have an engine similar to what you have or will build to aswer your questions.

As far as gear ratios for a 3 speed MANUAL for the late 60s early 70s, it should be in the parts manuals. It was a little known fact back in the day that the 3 speed ratios were very good for drag racing, however the trans itself was not really designed to handle the power of a high power build in a big block. They were OK for a small block prior to the days that strokers became popular that basicaly turned a small block into a big block in terms of cubes.

if you go with the later OD trans you can always bush the case - at that point it will handle anything you can dish

Well, I spoke to Jamie Passon the other day and he's sold out until Jan. Also the price went up $100.00. He says one of his units is behind an 800 HP something or other and hasn't broken yet. According to him no one else has reported any issues regarding performance and driveability with the wider gear spread. I knew they raced the 3 speeds in the very early days but wasn't aware the ratios were good for drag racing. I calculated various ratios on excell and came up with a 40% drop from 1st to 2nd on the Passon and I think the factory set is 28% in all gears. I may very well be writing my own review if I can ever get this car done. The gears are cut from 9310 and are 100% US made by the way.

I have one of those aluminum OD units with something blown out at the output shaft bearing end. I thought of building it into an iron case (which I have and hopefully that saves it) so that's another option. It's cheap in comparison, but as pointed out, way bigger gear spread. If things come together with the car I might just try this one since I have everything.

Auto Transport Service
Back