• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon 855 5-speed impressions, and soon a 4.10 Ring and Pinion

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:15 AM
Reaction score
I just had my a833 18 spline swapped out and the Passon 855 installed. I want to share some impressions here and add to this as time and experience go on.
My car is a 70 V-Code Track Pak (3.54 Dana 60) Roadrunner. 71 440 aluminum 6 bbl intake and Holley carbs, FBO ignition, Mopar Purple Stripe 292* .509 cam, headers, stock short block, stock '78 452 heads with CompCams springs locks and retainers as well as 16 of their flat tappet lifters.
First thing was ease of installation. What can I say? It was easy! I replaced my tired stock cast iron flywheel with a McLeod SFI steel wheel since it was staring at me and it had visible heat cracks even after turning it a year ago.
I have only driven about 120 miles, but it has been a nice mix of stop and go, around town, and the all new and improved highway driving.
Previous to the 855 I turned 3500 RPM at 75. Now in 5th I turn 2250 at 75. What a difference! So much less noise and the 440 pulls effortlessly at the lower RPMs.
The shifter is fantastic. Tight and SOLID with extremely easy to find "gates" as I go through the gears. Positive shift engagement, crisp and clean with NO SLOP.
Now my driving habits have taken me roughly 3 hours one way to Mopars at the Battleship, but I have a trailer now and the last time I went I trailered my car. I enjoy driving it, but long (miles) drives are not on my itinerary in the foreseeable future. Long (time) cruising around is my mainstay, and I love to blast down the 1/4 mile.
That brings me to a new option that I am going to exercise with the advantage of the .70 5th gear. I am going to install a 4.10 ring and pinion to replace the 3.54 that is in my Dana 60 now. I will still be 700 RPMs less at 75 than I was with the a833 and 3.54, but I will have the added get up and go of the 4.10. For me I believe that will be a win+win.
The transmission is a little noisy in 1st/2nd but that was expected (Jamie told me it would be) and should fade with break in. It doesn't bother me at all, and with a 6XX HP/6XX TQ stroker planned i am more interested in strength than quietness.
More impressions to follow.
Looking forward to hearing from other 855 owners and some other trans swaps too like the Viper, etc etc.
Anyone with a numbers matching 3 pedal car that wants a 5 speed shouldn't consider any transmission other than the 855. No hacking or slashing with this one. My car isn't numbers matching, but I chose the 855 for its outstanding specifications, quality materials, and workmanship.

Last edited:
How much time between initial order and delivery. Has production time improved?

How much time between initial order and delivery. Has production time improved?
I know that you have been following these closely. I honestly don't know how long ago I talked with Jamie about getting one, but I am glad that I did and I'm glad that I waited. If you don't mind carving up your car like a turkey, then maybe there are a wider range of choices to be had, but for me, I like the feel of the 855. It is like a perfect a833, but better, and it has a 5th gear. The design and materials chosen to go into this and the effort put forth by Jamie were factors for me too. I am happy to support someone who stuck his neck out and stayed with it to fruition despite numerous hurdles. THAT is one way to get people to support our Mopars with aftermarket products and parts-you PAY THEM (and thank them too)

Yes I am anxious to hear what the turn around time was as well> Cheers!

If you want one, order one. If you've ordered one, contact Jamie.
I'm glad I did.
I have read 67+ pages of comments on other forums going back years.
My focus of my posts in the thread I started is to relate my experiences with the 855 as they develop.

How long a wait time between order and delivery?

Thanks

How long a wait time between order and delivery?
Thanks
Order one and post back when yours is delivered. That will be the most accurate answer to your question. If you want one, contact Passon.
If you want one, order one. If you've ordered one, contact Jamie.
I'm glad I did.
I have read 67+ pages of comments on other forums going back years.
My focus of my posts in the thread I started is to relate my experiences with the 855 as they develop.

Great to hear they are getting out. Really this is one of the first posts I have read of someone who has one in their car.
They were not even close to final production on the 855 when I cut up my car for the SS-700 5-speed. I still have to check my driveshaft and pinion angle as I get a driveshaft vibration at around 100 MPH?

I know for a fact that Jamie has been producing them. When he did the 4speed conversion on my 70 RR 2 years ago, I saw two sitting on the bench being crated for shipment. He mentioned they were going down under. Maybe Kiwi has one and he's keeping it under wraps !!! LOL

Someone say pictures!

Here's one!

18358910_10210960150618069_3454106782894724324_o.jpg

I'll see about pix. I have a couple before it was in, and can take a couple of it installed tomorrow.
I have a question.
My old, stock flywheel had a ring gear that had kinda ragged teeth. The starter that was installed a couple of years ago was a used unit, so it already had some use. When I had the 855 installed, I had a new SFI rated McLeod steel flywheel installed. Ever since that the starter makes a funny (bad) sound of the teeth not meshing well (I guess). I'm thinking the old starter teeth wore to accommodate the old raggedy teeth on my old flywheel and with the new flywheel the old starters worn teeth is why it's making noise now. I just installed a new MSD high torque mini starter and tomorrow I will finish and report back on the noise whether it's gone or not.
Does it seem logical that that is why the old starter was making noise?

That's great too hear, overdrives completely change a car. Glad it went so well:thumbsup:

You may need to slightly adjust the 'clocking' on your starter motor. That should help.:thumbsup:
I adjusted the old noisy starter...directly OUT and put a MSD torquer mini starter in. I'm going to try it out this morning. Thanks.

You may need to slightly adjust the 'clocking' on your starter motor.
Funny that you mention that. ALL of the other MSD starters that I saw pictures of have billet mounting plates that are specifically designed to allow clocking the starter...except for the one I received.
It's already in, I will finish reinstalling the header, and then put oil in (I did an oil and WIX Filter change) and give 'er a spin.

Auto Transport Service
Back