• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon 855 5-speed impressions, and soon a 4.10 Ring and Pinion

You got yours? Oh...so you're the one, heh. :lol:

All kidding aside, I don't think anyone ever questioned the quality or performance of the product, it's the delivery time frame that is bothersome. Furthermore, extended initial delivery time would have me worried if something goes wrong and I ever need replacement parts down the road. I've met Jamie at several event over the years and talked with him a great deal. He's about as nice a guy you'll find in the industry, no doubt. If he's ever able to get this thing sorted to a point where he has parts on the self and can deliver in a reasonable time, I'll go this route. Until that happens I think I'll stick with the Gear Vendors route if the need arises.

You got yours? Oh...so you're the one, heh. :lol:

All kidding aside, I don't think anyone ever questioned the quality or performance of the product, it's the delivery time frame that is bothersome. Furthermore, extended initial delivery time would have me worried if something goes wrong and I ever need replacement parts down the road. I've met Jamie at several event over the years and talked with him a great deal. He's about as nice a guy you'll find in the industry, no doubt. If he's ever able to get this thing sorted to a point where he has parts on the self and can deliver in a reasonable time, I'll go this route. Until that happens I think I'll stick with the Gear Vendors route if the need arises.
I get it. That's your or anyone else's decision to make. I am disgusted with and by all of the disparaging things that were said about and directed towards Jamie. Not every single transaction that he and I have done have gone off without a hitch, BUT he has ALWAYS made good on whatever the issue was. More importantly, we Mopar guys get the stinky end of the aftermarket stick, and for him to have done what he did with the 855 is monumental and one of the reasons why I paid over 5k for this gearbox.
That is as close to "non-technical" as I want to get in this thread. I want to FOCUS on performance reports and impressions.
Thanks.

My old, stock flywheel had a ring gear that had kinda ragged teeth. The starter that was installed a couple of years ago was a used unit, so it already had some use. When I had the 855 installed, I had a new SFI rated McLeod steel flywheel installed. Ever since that the starter makes a funny (bad) sound of the teeth not meshing well (I guess). I'm thinking the old starter teeth wore to accommodate the old raggedy teeth on my old flywheel and with the new flywheel the old starters worn teeth is why it's making noise now. I just installed a new MSD high torque mini starter and tomorrow I will finish and report back on the noise whether it's gone or not.
Does it seem logical that that is why the old starter was making noise?
SOLUTION!
It was the old starter. I assume that the starter teeth were worn in a uniquely bad way because of the raggedy teeth on my old flywheel.
The new MSD starter is awesome. No noise and it's very quiet, fast, and powerful. Really small too. Changing a starter on a header equipped RB B-body sucks. The electrical contact posts on the MSD, like other mini-starters I've seen, are on top and hard to get to. The battery cable to starter terminal is really close to the block by a freeze plug.
I changed out my spark plugs while I was at it. Swapped in NGK IX Iridium plugs in place of the old Champion RJ11YCs...I've always had good results w/NGK. I gapped them at .40 instead of .35. I have a Flamethrower ignition coil and FBO ignition control box so I thought a little extra gap wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
I went on my first long highway trip today (about 1hr 40 minutes at 75 mph) and the .70 overdrive with a 3.54 Dana 60 is fantastic! I am lining up a Spicer 4.10 ring and pinion gear, but I will still be 700 RPMs less at 75 in 5th than I used to be in 4th. Great transmission, strong and shifts great. I'm taking it easy during the break in period which should be completed by the end of Crusin the Coast. November is track day so I can report further then. Thanks Jamie Passon!

I really want one of these, has anyone put them to the test to see how bulletproof they are?

I have had mine in for about 7 months. My pressure plate boogered up 2 days before "track day" last November, and I only got it replaced a couple of months ago.
I haven't been to the track since, but I have pounded on it some on the street.
I have 100% confidence that the a855 will handle everything I throw at it and everything my future stroker motor will throw at it as well.
So far, so good.
It is rated for 700 continuous Ft.Lbs. of torque.

I can confirm the highway cruising. I was pushing my freshly rebuilt Buick Enclave keeping up with this guy to Moparfest yesterday. He was hauling for a older car. The overdrive is a must have.

image.jpg

I have had a Dakota Digital (sweep gauges) dash for my car for about 2 years sitting in the box..When I install it and calibrate the speedo I will better know how fast I'm going. Used to be 70mph at 3,500RPM in 4th w/3.54. Now about 2,750RPM in 5th at 70 w/4.10, and 1st thru 4th way more fun!
The biggest difference my butt dyno detected was 1st-to-2nd shift at WOT.
I really need to get to Test and Tune night so I can see what the 855 is like power shifting and what the 4.10 (vs 3.54) has done to my 1320 time and trap speed.

20180428_143941.jpg
This Dodge Daytona Charger has been used for long long drives. I think I convinced the owner to switch out the 833 for a 855.
I know if I had a Winged Warrior I would be running a 3.23 or 3.54 and a 855 5 speed for sure!

Yesterday was my first "long" road trip with the a855 AND 4.10 ring and pinion. I am so glad I got both. The 4.10 has added a new dimension of fun to driving and much greater driveability ease since I don't have to downshift as much. On the top end of things I am beyond happy with the appx 750 RPMs less that I turn w/the 4.10+a855 vs the 3.54+a833 combo. Best of both worlds for me and my car, "Miss Victory"
I got the inspiration for her name from this song:

And what size rear tire are you running??

25.6" inflated overall diameter.
Toyo Proxes TQ Drag Radials 315/35/17 on Year One 9x17" Aluminum Rallye wheel.
Perfectly centered between fenderwell and leaf springs, all stock!

And what size rear tire are you running??
Was about to ask the same thing! When I had my 71 340 Cuda, I stuck in some 4.56's just for S&G's but mainly to see if it was a quiet runner but left them in for several weeks because they were fun. The car had 275-60's on it so it wasn't too bad at 50 lol

There’s your problem, tire is way too small. Get somewhere around a 28” tall tire and you’ll be cruising at some low rpm’s.

There’s your problem, tire is way too small. Get somewhere around a 28” tall tire and you’ll be cruising at some low rpm’s.
Problem? I went from a 3.54 4 speed turning 3,500 RPMs at 70 mph to a 4.10 5 speed turning 2,750 at 70 mph...no problem here!

I didn’t mean problem, should’ve said “that’s why”. Short tires suck for mileage, good for scooting red light to red light.

Short tires suck for mileage, good for scooting red light to red light.
2017 Dodge Caravan for cargo cap and mileage...
440+6 Roadrunner with 4.10 and Drag Radials.....
Well, you get the idea... :)

I do. Same with me except I have Ram 2500 diesel for putting around.

I just had my a833 18 spline swapped out and the Passon 855 installed. I want to share some impressions here and add to this as time and experience go on.
My car is a 70 V-Code Track Pak (3.54 Dana 60) Roadrunner. 71 440 aluminum 6 bbl intake and Holley carbs, FBO ignition, Mopar Purple Stripe 292* .509 cam, headers, stock short block, stock '78 452 heads with CompCams springs locks and retainers as well as 16 of their flat tappet lifters.
First thing was ease of installation. What can I say? It was easy! I replaced my tired stock cast iron flywheel with a McLeod SFI steel wheel since it was staring at me and it had visible heat cracks even after turning it a year ago.
I have only driven about 120 miles, but it has been a nice mix of stop and go, around town, and the all new and improved highway driving.
Previous to the 855 I turned 3500 RPM at 75. Now in 5th I turn 2250 at 75. What a difference! So much less noise and the 440 pulls effortlessly at the lower RPMs.
The shifter is fantastic. Tight and SOLID with extremely easy to find "gates" as I go through the gears. Positive shift engagement, crisp and clean with NO SLOP.
Now my driving habits have taken me roughly 3 hours one way to Mopars at the Battleship, but I have a trailer now and the last time I went I trailered my car. I enjoy driving it, but long (miles) drives are not on my itinerary in the foreseeable future. Long (time) cruising around is my mainstay, and I love to blast down the 1/4 mile.
That brings me to a new option that I am going to exercise with the advantage of the .70 5th gear. I am going to install a 4.10 ring and pinion to replace the 3.54 that is in my Dana 60 now. I will still be 700 RPMs less at 75 than I was with the a833 and 3.54, but I will have the added get up and go of the 4.10. For me I believe that will be a win+win.
The transmission is a little noisy in 1st/2nd but that was expected (Jamie told me it would be) and should fade with break in. It doesn't bother me at all, and with a 6XX HP/6XX TQ stroker planned i am more interested in strength than quietness.
More impressions to follow.
Looking forward to hearing from other 855 owners and some other trans swaps too like the Viper, etc etc.
Anyone with a numbers matching 3 pedal car that wants a 5 speed shouldn't consider any transmission other than the 855. No hacking or slashing with this one. My car isn't numbers matching, but I chose the 855 for its outstanding specifications, quality materials, and workmanship.
With all that torque, why would you want more gear? Seems counterproductive to cut off higher speed cruising ability for more wheel spin.

I’m guessing the bottom lever does 5th and reverse

Auto Transport Service
Back