• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Passon 855 installed

Beach Goat

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on this subject, even though its a few years old. I'd like to post up a quick user review on the Passon Performance 855 5-speed overdrive manual transmission. Car is a 70 Charger, 580" wedge ~750hp, 4.10s. Stock suspension, lot of original sheetmetal, not quite a survivor but not quite a resto either. Been in my family for 35 years, definitely wanted to keep the factory trans tunnel intact. Previously had an 833 hemi four speed with a Passon 3rd gear.

So my big motivation for the 855 was so I could cruise the car long distances, make cruising more pleasant, and have an extremely strong transmission that I can beat on confidently. So I found a used one from a local guy I know very well, it was already broken in (approx 2500 miles).

Installation impressions: it went in just as easy as the 833. No interference, no modifications needed, all factory parts bolt right up. Needed a new speedo cable, that's it. Slipped in like it was born for it. Weighs close to the 833 but about ten pounds lighter dry, plus it holds a little less oil.

Driving impressions: A little more gear whine but who cares. Shifts like butter, absolutely perfect. Wonderful positive gear engagement. Haven't missed a gear yet.

Mileage: Here's the good stuff. I have driven it on a 100 mile cruise, from Virginia Beach to Richmond. With a 750hp 580" wedge breathing through a perfectly tuned 1000cfm AED with mechanical secondaries turning 4.10s in a Dana 60, I got 14.7mpg! 100 miles, 6.8 gallons of 93. The drive was a 60mph country road for 90% of the way, so the speeds were somewhat low: the engine was turning 2000-2300 most of the way.

Overall I am thrilled, the fuel economy is far better than I hoped for (I thought 12mpg would be my most optimistic high end guess, with 10mpg probably being more realistic) and I feel like I could drive this car for hours on end. I hope to one day work my way up to a drive to Detroit for Roadkill Nights one year.

Last edited:
You found a used A855 with 2500 miles on it?

Lucky find. It took a long time for the original owner to get it, and break in is tedious. Good find. Friend has one, said it jumped out of first on decel, sent it back. OK now. I never decel in first and would never have discovered it.

He's done with cars. Selling his rides and he pulled the trans out, sold it to me, and took my 833 to put in his car.

580 inch engine? Holeeee Crap !

Yep and with the 4.10s and a sweet Comp Cam spec'd by Dwayne it loves chugging along at 45mph in 5th, turning about 1600 rpm!

Does the 5 speed accept the 4 speed speedo pinion adapter?

It came with a new speedo cable, I'm pretty sure it's identical but longer. The trans is as plug n play as possible.

Pal who drives his car a lot says, the 855 now catches entering second gear. Synchro. Also jumps out of 5th bumpy conditions, moderate throttle. Gotta come out again. Second trip to turkey gobble path. 700 Hughes built 6 Pak car.

The recommended gear oil on the ppwk is incorrect, 75W140, which is for limited slip differentials, and causes the issues you described.

Change it to MT90.

How do I know this?
Well, the ppwk seemed incorrect to me, for some reason, thinking limited slip has clutches, but I'm no expert, so I called.

A change was made, now Red Line MT90 is recommended. I was unable to locate an official notification and did not personally receive one, but found a member on fabo who went through the same issues and process.

The recommended gear oil on the ppwk is incorrect, 75W140, which is for limited slip differentials, and causes the issues you described.

Change it to MT90.

How do I know this?
Well, the ppwk seemed incorrect to me, for some reason, thinking limited slip has clutches, but I'm no expert, so I called.

A change was made, now Red Line MT90 is recommended. I was unable to locate an official notification and did not personally receive one, but found a member on fabo who went through the same issues and process.
Appreciated. I will forward info. He got #24 after a long wait. Just got it back for a 1st gear issue and put 100 miles on it last weekend.

Change it to MT90.
THIS!!
Straight from the man whose name comes before "Performance" :)
I don't remember what I put in mine, other than it was Royal Purple synthetic.
I have what I believe to be a leaking slip yoke seal, so I'm changing to the Redline synthetic MT90.
I love my 855. I don't lift to shift, a quick pop of the clutch pedal and BAM, next gear. I swapped out the 3.54 R&P and installed a 4.10 because of the 5th gear being available.
Went from 3,500 in 4th w/3.54s to 2,750 in 5th w/4.10s and 1st thru 4th is a heck of a lot more fun!

Did you upgrade to a hydraulic clutch, or stick with the linkage?

Did you upgrade to a hydraulic clutch, or stick with the linkage?
I am 100% going with a hydraulic clutch and the HitMaster launch control system as soon as my bank account catches up with that entry on my wish list.

i had to laugh --- 580 ci --750hp --4.10 gears --- and you are worried about gas mileage -- i take this engine will never see the high side of 3000 rpm --- so this combination was built for bragging rights only --

Auto Transport Service
Back