• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pat69charger's 1969 XP29 Charger rust-oration!

pat1969charger

Local time
10:01 PM
Reaction score
So I'm sure many have read my post in the welcome forum. I have in some way started on my 69 charger project. For those who haven't read my other post here is the link to it to get you caught up http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?80700-New-kid-in-town! . I picked up what's left of a 68 satellite to use some parts from and quickly realized it was much more "together" the. My charger. The charger main roof structure running along the top of the windows from A pillers to the rear wheel house was even rotten so you can guess there isn't one good piece of steel on it. Since I'm going to salvage that section of roof structure, A pillars, firewall and cowls, front door posts and possibly inner fenders I decided to jig up the satellite an strip it down to the pieces I need and replace the ret with mostly new charger metal. I got half flamed over on dc.com a little bit ago when I mentioned doing this. Here's how I see it, satellite had been in the woods for 30 years and charger in a field since 82. If I don't take the two and fix the charger they both met their demise. Satellite has no vin and there will be no metal left with a plymouth vin as I need to use my upper rad support and you all know the difference in the rear package shelf and gutter area that needs to be charger anyway. Charger has a clean title. I will update this thread as I make progress on the project. Hope you can respect my decision I respect many of you on here as I can see there is a wealth of knowledge and some genuine good people! Pics tonight when I get to my computer!

Last edited:
I probably would have been screaming too about cutting up the Satellite but you mentioned "no vin" so have at it and save a Charger! My advice is to do a very clean job taking the satellite apart so you can make a few dollars selling sheet metal that you don't use. Also thought I'd mention the Partial vin stamping on the radiator support, with the vin missing from the Satellite (don't know it's history) I'd think about keeping the Chargers vin in tact up there. Just a thought. Good luck

Upper rad support is twisted on the satellite but it is really the best part on the charger so I will be using it. There is very little metal left on the satellite that's good I won't be using besides the package tray maybe and roof skin which I'm going to drill the welds out on. Thanks 747mopar!

Good Luck pat, I will be watching and rooting for ya!

Definatly a huge project, I got my inspiration to even try it from your thread Don! It's on the jig now with quarters gone next step to start replacing the rails front and rear just waiting in the fronts I ordered and inner and outer rockers spring perches and crossmemebers. Once it's structurally sound I'll either "massage" the inner fenders as they are a little twisted in front or replace them haven't decided yet, then go to swapping the rear part of the inner roof structure and package shelf from my charger shell over. Helps having a father in law that is a certified auto body and got his ticket in the 70s working on these! Thanks again guys I'll need the support!

Never mind the dick heads wanking about cutting up the satellite, they would probably not have the balls to fix either one anyway so ........
I for one am behind you all the way so have at her and post lots of pics. Always good for the soul to take on a challenge.

here are a few pics all jigged up, second pic you can see my 73 waiting to be finished. still dont know why these pics up load all flipped around? IMG_2084.jpgIMG_2085.jpgIMG_2086.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2088.jpgIMG_2089.jpgIMG_2090.jpg

You are absolutely insane. Good luck to you sir!

:beerchug:

Wow!! I think you've just redefined the word 'dedication' for all of us. Good luck with the project and keep us posted on progress. :headbang:

You are absolutely insane. Good luck to you sir!

:beerchug:
I too question my sanity from time to time!

I will update this thread a I go along I have will have lots of parts to keep me going for awhile. Progress will be a little slow after that as funds for the car will not be as plentiful. A 2 1/2 month old baby son and wife off on maternity leave for the next 9 months (Canadian members know what I'm talking about ) so her pay is cut to 75% I think. I will try to get parts when I can, maybe one at a time.

Well you certainly must have a set of big ones. Question is... what does the wife think? and not about your big ones. You need to keep them/her happy.

May the force be with you brave one, and thanks for helping me loosen up my neck!

Well you certainly must have a set of big ones. Question is... what does the wife think? and not about your big ones. You need to keep them/her happy.
Wife is ok with it all as long as I'm not dipping into bill or little guys money, although I have been getting hell the last week about winter tires, oil change and undercoating on her car so out the project went today so I could do that.

daytona kid, sorry about the pics lol. I have been taking them
with my iPhone and uploading to my computer, they are right side up on the computer but when I upload them to the site they flip all different ways. Any ideas? :confused:

Wife is ok with it all as long as I'm not dipping into bill or little guys money, although I have been getting hell the last week about winter tires, oil change and undercoating on her car so out the project went today so I could do that.

daytona kid, sorry about the pics lol. I have been taking them
with my iPhone and uploading to my computer, they are right side up on the computer but when I upload them to the site they flip all different ways. Any ideas? :confused:
It may have something to do with the way you are holding the phone .. Mine does that if I hold it sideways or upside down.

I will try to grab some with my wife's camera from time to time , she paid a lot for it so I'm not allowed to use it much especially in the garage haha

Christmas came early, all new floors front and rear rear frame rails, torsion crossmember, rear crossmember, inner and outer rockers and rear leaf spring perches. everything I need to get started as soon as the 73 is gone!
DSCF0765.jpgDSCF0766.jpgDSCF0767.jpgDSCF0768.jpg

Good luck Pat! The jig you have will keep it in line and maybe the wife will need to keep you in line if you go to far with parts (mine trys lol) but i bet you'll get it done and it will be a cool ride and a project you'll remember for years to come!

Auto Transport Service
Back