• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Patina'd RR1 Burgundy 1968 Charger ("Ribeye")

I pulled the dash frame yesterday so I could clean the window channel and firewall a bit and found a Chrysler inspection tag on the A/C box. I thought that was pretty cool. I ground down a bunch of spot welds in the cabin and trunk. I was surprised and pleased with the overall condition of the wheel tub lips. They were all solid except for where the two tub halves meet at the very back.

A9ZnJN6l.jpg

fMMJ9mCl.jpg

u57ErWYl.jpg

dTmJ0UAl.jpg

I've been putting off removing the undercoating from the rear wheel tubs because its such a nasty job but I finally started in on it yesterday. Small areas of the undercoating had fallen out over the years. This way I can seal and undercoat everything from the firewall back.

I used a $30 ebay needle scaler and if you haven't used one to remove undercoating, you really need to. It FLIES off....which is why its so messy!

jSMpxlml.jpg

HostSe5l.jpg

HhGUIP3l.jpg

egoPIwrl.jpg

Since removing the rear bumper, the oxidized paint that was behind the bumper has been annoying me. Sounds stupid...but its polished now!

RuVBeYOl.jpg

du2vQP7l.jpg

909EaAol.jpg

Dang, talk about the snowball effect. And here the way you started out this thread it sounded like you were just going to be able to clean things up and drive it. Par for the course on these old Mopars though, and I would be doing the same as you if it was in my garage. Just love the color combo of this car.

Thanks guys! I never thought I'd like burgundy but I do love the combo. And the patina really excites me too.

Every old Mopar I've worked on (except my survivor 1969 Charger) has snowballed. But I don't want to dig into it again. i just want to do it once. And I had 8 weeks of furlough from work the summer so that provided the time to just jump in and get it done

I'm finally getting back on this one. I am going through the dash now. I cleaned up the dash pads....so nasty. Just cleaned them and used saddle soap to condition them. They turned out better then I expected.

tLhCXY4h.jpg

aDjcjNdh.jpg

fybLi7bh.jpg

Those came out great! I can't believe those are the same ones.

I'm finally getting back on this one. I am going through the dash now. I cleaned up the dash pads....so nasty. Just cleaned them and used saddle soap to condition them. They turned out better then I expected.

After cleaning the pads did the saddle soap make a difference in the softness?
Or is there something better to soften the dash pads?

After cleaning the pads did the saddle soap make a difference in the softness?
Or is there something better to soften the dash pads?

The saddle soap does soften them some. There may be a better product out there but this seems to do the trick.

Auto Transport Service
Back